Chapter 123

Jeremy's POV

I looked around me. The lights were set up, the helium balloons had been released so that they reached the ceiling, and the drinks and glasses were all set. It looked great.

I exhaled happily as I stepped back. And instantly I felt someone's arm around me. I turned swiftly, and found Lucas smiling at me, his eyes gazing deeply into mine.

"Hi," I said.

"Hello," he answered. His face inched towards mine and he kissed me softly. He stepped back and looked around. "This looks great."

I grinned back at him. "Just you wait," I replied. I made my way towards the switch and flicked on the lights. The neon strips around the bar were a blend of blues and purples, and the small light bulbs hanging down the ceiling were multicoloured. It matched perfectly with the dark, modern style of the bar.

Lucas's eyes lit up. "This is amazing." He reached for my hand and pulled me to him. "You're amazing." I looked up at him, a smile on my face. Then I glanced around briefly, to see if anyone else was around. There was just the bartender, and frankly I didn't care what he thought of me. I reduced the space between Lucas and I and we kissed softly, before I pulled him even closer to me and our tongues collided in a frenzy. I eventually pulled away, resting my forehead against his. I felt his breath fan my face as he sighed happily. I looked back at him with a smile.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement and I turned swiftly. My eyes widened as I saw Sophie standing next to the door, an amused smile on her lips. I felt my heart flip.

Lucas realised that I'd frozen, and his eyes also shifted to Sophie. I could tell he'd recognised her instantly. I took his hand and led him to her.

"Soph," I said. I released Lucas's hand and bent to kiss Sophie's cheek. She squeezed my hand and I stepped back with a smile on my face. I gestured to Lucas, who was watching the whole exchange. "This is Lucas." I turned to him. "And this is Sophie. Sean's sister."

They shook hands and Sophie beamed. "I've heard a lot about you," she said to him. She turned to me then, and smacked my arm.

"Ow!" I yelled, glaring at her.

"That's what you get for calling me Sean's sister!"

"Well, you are!"

"Yeah but that's not why we're close!"

I chuckled. "Fair enough. Sorry, Soph."

Sophie laughed and turned to Lucas, who was looking a bit uncomfortable now. "You are as gorgeous as Jeremy described you," she said.

A smile appeared on his face now. "Really?" he asked, turning to me. "So you've been telling people about me, huh? Finally."

"Just Soph," I replied. I jolted as I felt his hand touch mine.

Sophie watched us quietly for a few seconds. "I'll go set up the streamers, sweetie," she told me. I nodded. She was going to help out - that was why she was slightly early. Her idea was to place elaborate streamers near the entrances. Very elaborate, because this was Sophie.

I turned back to Lucas. He was still watching me. "So effectively, she's the only one who knows about you and I?" he asked. I could hear the disappointment in his voice.

"Yes," I answered. "I haven't really come out, you know."

"So we can't make our relationship public tonight, then." This wasn't a question, but a statement.

"I'm sorry, baby. You know how difficult it is for me to discuss my sexuality."

"Well and good. But you shouldn't be ashamed of me."