Chapter 77

Sean's POV

I lay on my bed later that evening, pretending to read a book. Sophie had suddenly told us that she had an errand to run, and had disappeared. I stared at my book silently, willing myself not to keep thinking about the way Malcolm had showed up here, and what he'd said to me.

A knock came on the door and I looked up. Jeremy was standing at the door, glancing towards me sheepishly. He made his way to my bed, and I started sitting up.

"Don't bother, it's okay," he told me. I stopped where I was, and watched him as he lay down on the double bed next to me. He turned to look at me. "How are you, sweetheart?" he asked. I'd noticed that he only called me this when he knew that I was severely distressed.

"I've been worse," I answered. I removed my glasses and put them on my bedside table together with the book.

"You're not having dark thoughts again, are you?"

"I'm trying not to," I mumbled.

"Let me know if you are, okay?" Jeremy looked at me in concern. I forced a smile, pretty sure that he was the person who cared about me the most in the world.

"Yeah." I sighed. "It sucks, having Malcolm accuse me and speak to me that way. I'm not used to it."

"You cannot really blame him, though. He sees it differently."

"Of course." I turned as well, so that now I was also face to face with Jeremy. "Seeing him again, though, twice within one week after so long. It brought back so many memories," I admitted.

"I can imagine," Jeremy said softly. His hand reached out and stroked my hair. "You'll be fine, even with him," he added. He hadn't heard him tell me that he was ashamed and embarrassed about having been in a relationship with me. I shrugged, and sat up properly.

"How about you?" I asked. "With Sophie?"

Jeremy propped his elbow up, looking at me. "Who knows? The girl is a mystery to me."

"Where did she go tonight?" I asked him curiously.

He laughed. "She'd never tell me. She's complex, you know that."

I knew. It seemed to be a trait of all the Michigans. I hoped for goodness that she'd treat him well. It was evident how much he cared for her.

"Sean," Jeremy said to me.

"Hmm?"

"Am I really a pushover? Like Malcolm said earlier." He said this in a low voice.

I looked at him. "Sorry for that, Jer. Malcolm can be cruel when he's angry... clearly." I frowned, trying to block out what he'd said to me once again. Those words were going to stay with me for a long time.

"Yeah, that's why I offended him." Jeremy frowned. "Well... am I?"

I chuckled, reaching my hand out to his arm. "You are a bit, love. Always eager to please. But that's why we love you so much," I said to him.

"Jeez. Am I that bad?"

"No. You've stood your ground with me when you needed to. Just don't let Sophie push you around so much, okay?"

Jeremy looked thoughtful, and he nodded without speaking. Silence fell for a couple of minutes.

And I suddenly realised that I was desperate to tell him what I'd kept stowed away for the past few years. And this seemed to be a good moment, since no one else was around and he'd already seen my vulnerable side tonight. I glanced at Jeremy from the corner of my eye warily.