Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The ride to her house is in silence.  When they get there Chace walks around his car quickly to her side opening the passenger door.   Rylie walks off leaving him in front of his car without speaking.  Halfway to her steps she turns around to find him getting back in his car. 

“Chace….?”  She says loud enough for him to hear.   “Yeah?”  He leans on the open door watching her. 

“Thank you.”  She smiles wryly at him.  He nods his head starting his car backing out of her driveway when she starts running toward him.  He hits his breaks, cursing and swearing under his breath he waits. 

Rylie runs around to the passenger side hoping in his car.  He stares at her wondering what now. 

“You’ve got to take me back to that mansion.”  She hurriedly remarks. 

“Have you lost your mind?”  He glowers.  “We had this discussion.” 

“Don’t look at me like that, my car is still there.  How am I supposed to get to work on time Monday?  My boss has threatened to move me to the work unit from hell if I’m late again.”  She rolls her eyes at him. 

“Rylie!”  His voice resonates warningly.  

“What….it’s true, you did threaten me.”  She answers hoping he feels guilty. 

“Damn, I forgot about your car.”  He says mostly to himself while turning off the engine.  “You wanted out of that dress go get changed, I’ll wait for you.” 

 “I think you better come inside.  I don’t want a repeat of my neighbor.”  She responds.  Looking at her neighbor’s house.   He follows behind her to her door.  While she opens it he looks next door seeing the blind move he knows her neighbor is watching them. 

Waiting for Rylie to change, Chace finds on her fireplace a picture of an older woman and a younger Rylie.  There is a resemblance Rylie doesn’t look too much different than she looks now.  She comes down the stairs casually dressed in a pair of black leggings with matching short booties, a t-shirt and lightweight jacket.  “Ready?” She ask him.  There’s a look of appreciation on his face. 

Chace has to give his name for them to get inside the gate at the mansion.  Driving to where they park the cars Rylie looks for hers but doesn’t see it.  Chace pulls up in front of the mansion, they go to the front door to ring the doorbell.  A very large man that looks like he could be security greets them.   Behind him are a few people standing near the stairs talking.  Rylie recognizes one of the voices. 

“Kayla?”  She exclaims trying to rush through the door but she’s stopped by the huge tattooed wall of a man guarding the place.  He’s about six-six inches tall, lean and muscular with hands bigger than Rylie’s head.  The top of her head only reaches his stomach.  She’s looking up at him with her wide big brown eyes he’s glaring at Chace.  Rylie lays her flat hand on the guard’s chest trying to get his attention he doesn’t respond. 

“Excuse me tree trunk….down here.”  She taps on his rock hard chest.  “Could you let me in please?  That’s a friend of my sisters and I really need to speak with her.”  She points at Kayla. 

He looks from her to Chace and grunts.  “What’s your business here?”     

“We were here last night we left in my car we came to pick up hers up but it’s not here.”  Chace explains.  The guard tells them any cars left in the parking lot are towed.  He pulls a piece of paper out of his jacket handing it to Rylie.  He tells them where Rylie’s car can be picked up.  Chace looks behind the guard seeing the woman and two men talking by the stairs Rylie mentioned.   They stop their conversation looking toward the door.  Kayla recognizes Rylie she hurries to the door’s entrance.