Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Rylie realizes she doesn’t have much time to wait she throws on a pair of skinny jeans and grabs a pair of tall flat boots to throw on tucking her jeans inside them.  Mr. Braxton must think he has her only phone but he doesn’t realize it’s just the phone Monique gave her.  She hurries to a chair sitting down in it to put her boots on, she tries to call Chace again to notify him of the madness they are about to get themselves into.  She’s skeptical of his father’s intent but she desperately wants to know if Monique is still at the bowling alley. 

She suspects she’s scared and lonely and just looking for home comforts.  Rylie worries that she can’t get her to turn herself in but she will face that hurdle when she gets to it if necessary. 

Chace doesn’t answer his phone, she text him a message:   

Chace, Monique called, she’s at bowling alley in Fairfax.  Your father and I are on our way there.  Please come as soon as you can.  I think you’re father thinks he’s James Bond and I’m one of his Bond girls he’s being strange and irrational.  ~Rylie 

Deciding she can’t stall anymore she hurries downstairs seeing Mr. Braxton pacing the foyer on his phone.  He’s yelling at someone, she dare not ask him who for fear he might turn his anger on her.  He seems so determined to prove that he’s still the man in charge although Chace is the one taking care of everything and everyone including her.   

Rylie knows Richard Braxton is supposed to be recovering from a major illness, she’s not sure how long he’s been in recovery, he sounds and looks pretty strong to her although the vein sticking out in his forehead and the gritting of his teeth do leave her concerned that he might get to upset and have a heart attack before her eyes causing his sons to blame her. 

She takes a deep breath then braces herself as she walks closer to him so that he can clearly see that she is ready.  She’s praying he hasn’t come up with some crazy plan or isn’t setting Monique up for the police to grab her before they have a chance to talk. 

He’s off the phone, they stare at each other for several seconds.  She doesn’t have a clue what he’s thinking but the vein in his forehead has smoothed out and he’s just wearing that Braxton scowl she’s witnessed from Jayson and Chace so many times she thinks these men invented the look.   They are a photographer’s dream, their masculinity exudes through their chiseled physiques, style of dress, and brooding good looks.  

“Good….you’re finally ready.”  He quips with a roll of his eyes. 

“I was ready ten minutes ago sir, you were on the phone and didn’t see me.”  Rylie decided during the stare off they just had that she’s going to stand up to him even if it causes another rift between her and Chace. 

“What did you just say to me young lady.”  He steps closer in an effort to intimidate her. 

Holding her ground and not flinching, she grits her own teeth at him.  “You heard me, I need to know before we walk out that door if you are going to double cross me and do something that can harm my sister.”  Rylie is much shorter than him but she holds steady he can see the determination and fire in her eyes as she defends herself. 

His simpering look is further enhanced by him placing his hands in his pockets.  “I see why he’s so attracted to you, you are a spitfire.  I didn’t get to where I am young lady by listening to women whine over things they know nothing about.  Now if you want to stand here and argue with me over how we handle this situation I’m prepared to do that but I’m sure your sister will be gone.  Otherwise, I expect you to get in my car, keep quiet and do as I say when we get to wherever the hell this place is.”  Richard Braxton informs her.