Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Chace waits until Leland drives out of his sight before he goes into the bowling alley.  His eyes search through the room looking for Rylie’s older sister they land on Jackson Blaine instead.  Making his way over to Jackson, he’s glad he already got his father and Rylie out of here. 

“Detective.”  He takes a seat next to him in one of the bowling booths while still looking around noticing a couple of police officers questioning someone at the concession stand. 

“She’s already gone, you know I can arrest your father and girlfriend for aiding and abetting her don’t you.  I don’t know what game your father is playing but I’m sure Rylie was here just to help her sister get away from him and anybody else she thinks is out to harm her.” Jackson says while messing with his phone.  He flips it around to show Chace a picture of Monique sitting in a booth sipping on a drink with a man in the shadows behind her it’s his father. 

“Where did you get the picture from?”  Chace ask still cautiously watching the room. 

“It was anonymously sent to me.  That’s how we knew to come here except we’re too late.  What did Ms. Cameron tell you about her sister?” 

“Not much Jackson, I didn’t ask her I was pretty upset about other things.”  Chace answers. 

“Mm hmm….Daddy’s still trying to control your life.  Did he bring Rylie here to try to set up her and her sister? Maybe he had someone take this picture and send it to us.”  Jackson remarks. 

“I think there are other players in this game.  You know as well as I do my father’s not going to put himself in a situation he feels he can’t control.  He’s not going to incriminate himself.  It looks like someone wants to get Monique Cameron out of the way and involve my father in it if they can.”  Chace tells him. 

“You mean the Senator.”  Jackson says holding Chace’s gaze. 

“What about him.”  Chace replies. 

“Hmm, not even going to say which one, guess we both know what Senator we’re talking about.  Is he still a client of Braxton Holdings?”  Jackson responds. 

“He is….barely.  His attorney Mason Livingston keeps reminding me we’re about to lose him as a client.  It’s not something we are trying to change, I prefer the Senator end our association it won’t draw as much publicity that way.”  Chace explains. 

“I’d say that’s a good idea, but don’t wait too long.  The Senator has other eyes on him he doesn’t know about.  A taskforce is being convened.  I suspect he’s trying to tie up loose ends and the Cameron woman may be a threat to him.  Our investigation into her friend’s murder resulted in some evidence that doesn’t point to Monique but it looks like somebody wants it to.  Talk to your girlfriend Chace, this is the neighborhood they grew up in, Rylie might know some other places her sister will go and try to meet up with her at them.  If she does it’s going to get her in trouble.  She needs to understand that we will catch Monique.”  Jackson carefully says. 

Chace is listening, he understands what the detective is telling him.  His anger toward his father is growing, he’s not sure what kind of game he’s playing he understands why Rylie came here. 

“I’m going to ignore this picture on my phone and the fact that your father and Rylie were here. If they keep doing shit like this they’re going to end up arrested, hurt or dead.   You know what happens to animals pushed into corners Chace, they claw their way out and don’t care who they hurt trying to get away.”  Jackson Blaine puts his phone in his jacket and stands up.