Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Rylie doesn't recognize her block when Leland drives up to it in the Mercedes G-Wagon. She and Chace are sitting in the backseat. Sander is up front on the passenger side on the phone. Chace holds her hand noticing how anxious she is getting. She's got to calm down, she knows he's concerned about her and the baby. If she's calm he will stay calm she's hoping.

The police have the block entrance cornered off, they demand proof that she lives there before letting them in. Chace whips out his phone to call Jackson. Rylie stops him pulling out her driver's license showing it to the officer. He calls it in that he has the owner of the house and he's letting her through. A description of the G-Wagon and tag number is given before they are allowed to go any further. The entire block and cul-de-sac is lined with police cars and dark vehicles everywhere. There's even a truck parked across the street blocking her elderly nosy neighbor's view that says FBI.

"Is this all necessary, I mean I have neighbors. There are other people living here." She remarks seeing her neighbors and lots of other strangers standing around on the streets in clusters. It's three-thirty on a Saturday afternoon, there's no mistaking something has happened at her townhouse and Gavin's. Both of their front doors are open with people coming in and out of them.

Chace takes Rylie by the hand as they approach. "Are you going to be able to handle this?" He asks her sliding his hand to her stomach. "Of course, I have to know what he did in my house. I don't want to have to wonder about it, it will drive me crazy. This is my life, it's not much but it's mine and what I worked for." She shakily answers.

"Okay sweetheart, I understand but if I see you getting upset, I'm taking you out of there for you and the baby's sake. You and that little one you're carrying are now my life and what I'm trying to keep safe." He says sternly, his blue eyes are as deep and dark and brilliant as sapphires.

Rylie is mesmerized by the no nonsense look he gives her. She has struggled sometimes to take care of herself after her parents died. She's always felt like she had to be strong enough to handle anything that comes at her alone and she has done it. It's been especially difficult dealing with the unpredictability of Monique.

Chace coming into her life hasn't erased all of her problems he's not superman but he does make the problems she faces more bearable and he makes her feel that he's there for her with love and understanding through them. Through this regardless of what's in that townhouse she will be alright she decides. She's not going to let Gavin take away her newfound happiness.

As they pull up to her townhouse room is made for Leland to pull up in her driveway. Rylie glances at her front door. The memory of their first official meeting is on her mind as she looks at it. Him standing on one side so sure and confident of himself and her on the other scared of betraying a secret and of losing her job. Neither expected to be here like this. She looks over at him, he's looking at the door having the same thought she has. He leans over and she kisses him on his temple. She snuggles into his shoulder pressing her hand over his laying on her stomach.

Jackson approaches the vehicle as they are getting out of it. He greets them and introduces a couple of FBI agents to them. It seems Jackson has been busy looking into Gavin's background and that of the great Senator from the State of Virginia. The FBI have been brought in because of the possible connections to the Senator. Jackson explains to them that Asa James now wants a deal to talk.

Jackson escorts them inside the townhouse. Chace keeps his arm around Rylie's waist for support. There are people everywhere going through her things, moving her furniture around taking fingerprints. Jackson wants her to come upstairs to the bedrooms. Before they get to the stairs Rylie hears a voice she recognizes and turns around.