Chapter 12-Trailer Included

Chapter 12

Rylie tried calling Jayson again while standing in line to board her flight.  He had just called her while she was in the bar at the Ritz Hotel waiting on Mr. Caldwell to show up for their meeting.  He wanted to know if the file he asked her to get was safe, she told him Chace put it away in a safe location. 

Rylie asked him if he found Monique, he told her he was close and knew why she was hiding but couldn't say over the phone.  Rylie wanted to know where he was but was only able to hear him say he was at his loft before the phone line was cut short because a drunken Mr. Caldwell knocked it out of her hand as he walked up behind her and tried to grope her.  She kneed him and he let her go.  She grabbed her phone from the floor but the call was disconnected. 

She tried frantically to call Jayson back but there was no answer.  She dealt with Mr. Caldwell by informing him that she would not have any more contact with him she was recommending Braxton Holdings discontinue doing business with him they should do a takeover of his troubled technology company.  He started threatening her she refused to listen to his drunken rant leaving him at the bar. 

Rylie didn't want to return to work on Friday afternoon to what she thought would by then be general knowledge of her altercation with Ivana Kessler.  She wasn't ready to face Chace although Beth called her to tell her about their lunch-time conversation, Rylie told Beth she wasn't coming back for the rest of the day.  She shocked herself in the way she responded to Ivana's taunting behavior.  She and Chace are adults free to be with whomever they choose but it was unsettling for her to find out from Ivana that she is his girlfriend.  

Her interactions with Chace are always so loaded with provocative innuendo, they feed off of being contrary to one another.  What happened between them Friday was destined to happen his interviewing her only added fuel to an already stoked fire that ignited on his office sofa.  It also burned out as far as she is concerned after her encounter with Ivana, she won't allow herself to be mesmerized by his enigmatic stare and warrior god body but how does she get around the fact that he challenges her to be better and have more confidence in herself.  She wants to further her career but not this way. 

Jayson is also supportive of her when it comes to her career.  Their relationship has journeyed into a brother sister type of union.  He's hurting because of something Monique has gotten him involved in and he's trying to protect her.  Rylie doesn't want him to suffer he has also been there for her whenever she needs him.  She knows the only loft he owns is in New York, he's let her stay there several times on business and shopping trips she has her own key to the place. 

 After her meeting with Mr. Caldwell she went home and started reading through some of the information Monique left on her dresser.  She learned that the adoption agency owner resides in New York and it's also their headquarters.  There is an address of a private clinic her sister circled on a brochure.  Rylie opened it up finding attached to it an unsigned contract offer.     

The contract confirms to Rylie her sister is pregnant.  What she is about to do regarding her pregnancy Rylie finds disturbing.  She doesn't want Monique to do something she will later regret and is also illegal.  She has never seen a contract like this not that she knows for sure what they are supposed to look like.  

The contract has an offer to Monique of three hundred thousand for a baby conceived with Jayson Braxton.  Rylie remembers Monique is in debt to her boss at the mansion.  It crosses her mind that part of Monique's decision to do this is so that she can pay him off.  There is something about the wording of the contract and how it seems to reflect that she will only get the money if the DNA test confirm that the baby is Jayson's.  There's an appointment section for a DNA test on this coming Monday.