Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Chace enters his father’s living room his hand tightly clasped with Rylie’s.   His father looks up seeing them he hurries over.

“You’re face, your hurt.  I knew you shouldn’t have gone in there alone.  Did you hurt anyone Chace?”  Mr. Braxton grumbles. 

“Only the person that deserved it.  Thanks for asking dad, I’m fine.”  Chace responds sarcastically.

“Don’t get smart with me Chace, you know what kind of men Asa James and his nephew are.  I’d rather not get into a brawl with them over something that has nothing to do with us.”  His father protest.

“There was no us going into that house dad, just me for the right reasons.  Tell me why did you offer to meet with Asa alone, was it really to get Rylie back?” 

Mr. Braxton looks uncomfortable he glances quickly at Rylie.  Jayson moves from the sofa to stand next his father, the two of them are facing Chace.

“I thought that I should have been the one to talk to Asa James.  We’re similar in age son, I thought it would be better handled coming from me.  I see by the looks of you and Rylie I was right.  You both look like you were in a brawl.  Are you alright my dear?”  Richard Braxton finally ask her.

Rylie adjust Sander’s leather jacket closing it to cover her torn dress.  She smirks at Mr. Braxton knowing what he’s trying to do.  “I’m fine thanks to your son Mr. Braxton.  Thank you for finally noticing that I’m here.”  She bluntly says.

“Well I’m sorry about that, I didn’t mean anything by it.  Chace you can be stubborn at times, you think you have to handle everything alone and you don’t.  I was just trying to help you son.”  Richard tells him.  Jayson lowers his head.

“Were you dad…..or where you trying to help Jayson.  You needed to keep me from finding out what Jayson did.”  Chace says raising his voice.   Jayson holds his head up hearing his name mentioned.

“Don’t talk to him that way Chace, this isn’t about you remember, it’s supposed to be about getting Rylie back.”  Jayson remarks.

“Is it Jayson…..is it really or is it about you and dad hiding from me that you had an affair with Kayla Adams.  She’s dead and now to keep his nephew from getting arrested Asa took Rylie to get me to come talk to him he wants me to let your ass go down for her murder.  He doesn’t trust you or dad because of what you did, Rylie would have still been there if I had let dad go in that place.”  Chace barks stunning Jayson and his father.

Jayson struggles to get the words out.  “You’re lying Chace, the police aren’t looking at me for this….I didn’t do it.  Yeah….ah, I admit I knew Kayla…..okay so what I had an affair with her before I met Monique.  Monique doesn’t know anything about it and neither did Rylie until you blabbed it just now.”  Jayson growls.

The two brothers are staring at each other with fist balled up.  Richard Braxton looks between them then at Rylie.  “Chace, calm down.  I didn’t know any more about it than you did until today when Rylie was taken.  Jayson came here and told me about his affair.  There was nothing we could do about it.”  Richard says.