Chapter 38

Chapter 38

The ride in the car for Chace and Rylie to the event is quiet, each of them is wrapped up in their own thoughts over what to do about each of their siblings. Rylie has the phone Monique gave her. She keeps opening her purse taking a peek inside to look at it as if it's going to ring just because she keeps watching it. Her conscious is bothering her there's a knot in the pit of her stomach. Whenever Monique wants something from her she keeps pestering her until she gets it. It worries Rylie that Monique hasn't called her again for several hours. She's no longer focused on herself or whether or not she's going to get a promotion tonight.

Chace glances at Rylie from under his long lashes. It bothers him that their relationship has revolved so much around the actions of their family members instead of developing the way most normal relationships do. Each time he tries to bring normalcy to it issues with family get in the way.

He never wanted to love anyone this deeply causing him to stay in relationships like the one he carried on with Jade for two years. He struggles with what he feels for Rylie. He wants to protect her and take care of her. He wants to make her dreams for herself a reality but he may be too late. Some of the Board members complaints about her still being employed at the company are getting louder. He was told a few days ago they want her suspended until her sister is caught then quietly terminated if Monique goes to trial.

Chace refused to follow their recommendations. He needs a majority vote to keep Rylie employed. He's been working to get it all this week. He's gotten most of the votes he needs, he's hoping tonight he can come up with the rest. He needs his father and Jayson's vote. It's crucial that he have them but with their relationship as it is, he worries he won't get it.

Leland pulls up to the entrance of the event and the car is swarmed by the media. Rylie is overwhelmed by the number of cameras she sees waiting for them to get out . Chace is by her side sliding his strong arm around her waist protectively holding her against him as she gets out of the car. Cameras flash from every direction in her face.

They take a few steps and a microphone is shoved in Chace's face. A reporter appears blocking them from moving forward, her camera man is to the left of her keeping his telephoto lens on Rylie's confused face.

"Chace Braxton, it's been awhile since I've seen you out and about. Are you giving this party to try to hold onto some of your fleeing clients?" The reporter lays her hand on Chace's wrist, she ignores Rylie keeping her gaze on him.

Chace stops walking with Rylie tucked under his arm to answer the reporter's question. "Good evening Gail. This party is to celebrate the promotion of some of our employees. Clients ending their associations doesn't affect our bottom line if that's what you're hinting at." The familiarity of her hand resting on his chest doesn't escape Rylie's notice.

She picks up on the subtle hint of flirting this Gail woman is doing with him. Gail is trying to keep Chace's attention on her with her smile, her gaze and physicality while hinting at Rylie that there is more between them.

"You're known Chace for dating some of the most beautiful and well known women. Under the rules of full disclosure I must include myself as one of the woman that has had many dates with you. "You seem to have had a change in taste. Who is this woman clinging so tightly to you tonight?" The catty smile she directs Rylie's way isn't missed.