Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Rylie makes it to the conference room door just as it closes before she can get through it.  She pulls on the huge door handle but it won't open, it's locked.   Looking through the glass partition between the locked door and the wall she can see everyone is seated and guess who is at the head of the table watching her.     

She can see his lips moving while his eyes stay on her.  The sound is muffled but she can see smiles on everyone's faces and hear laughter coming from the room.  Checking her watch she's more than fifteen minutes late.  He's actually conducting the meeting without her.  She's going to strangle Jayson the next time she sees him. 

Thoroughly embarrassed she starts walking away from the glass partition.  She gets a few steps away and the door is opened by none other than her favorite person Carolyn. 

"How nice of you to come off your thrown to join us.  Your presence is being requested.  I don't know what for, you don't contribute anything."  She says to Rylie. 

"What is it with you Carolyn, don't you know we're not in high school anymore."  Rylie comments. 

"Oh sweetie now you see that's the type of comment I would expect a girl to make instead of a woman.  It simply proves why you're not ready for management.  You wish this was high school and I was just one of those mean girls that use to kick your ass because I'm sure a girl like you got her ass kicked in high school all the time you're so ripe for it.  Come on Dorothy, click those Louboutins three times and come on in to meet the wizard."  She smirks. 

"Ladies....is there a problem?"  The wizard himself has come out the door.  He doesn't look happy as he looks from one woman to the other.  Both women end up staring at him like he's the high school principle speaking at the same time.  "No, Mr. Braxton." 

"Good."  He says walking to the door being a perfect gentlemen he holds it open for both of them to go inside.  Carolyn is grinning in his face as she passes him.  He gives her a flirting smile.  As Rylie walks by the smile drops turning into a scowl.   

Once inside Carolyn returns to her seat.  Chace walks up to the front of the conference table.  He's impressive in his immaculate navy suit.  All eyes shift from watching him to looking at Rylie standing just inside the door.  There's only one empty seat left at the table, up front next to Chace. 

Knowing she has to take it she walks carefully up to the front hoping she doesn't stumble.  Her stilettos click in a cadence across the tiled floor.  "Work it girl."  She hears whispers followed by a few laughs.  Pulling out the chair next to Chace she sits down laying her PC tablet in front of her. 

"Are you ready Ms. Cameron?"  He ask with slight intonation to his voice. 

Rylie tries not to react.  "Yes, I'm ready."  She says to the laughs and snickers in the room.  There are more people than she anticipated.  This isn't the regular weekly unit meeting.  There are several executives and department heads present.  If Jayson was here he would be the one attending this type of meeting instead of her. 

"Alright....we will continue now that Ms. Cameron has graced us with her presence.  Let's get started with the status of the list of accounts you should all have.   New York and LA are you online."  He ask everyone not bothering to look up at the two TV screens now turned on showing executives and team leaders from both places skyped in.  It's just what she needs more people knowing she's late.  The responses come in promptly through the intercom. 

Rylie looks around the table seeing everyone pulling something up on their PC tablets.  She opens hers but she doesn't have the link. Realizing they were all probably given the link when she was locked out of the room her face reveals her indecision about it.  Now she's really mortified.  She isn't just embarrassed in the Virginia office, but LA and New York will be gossiping about her to.