Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Rylie looks out the window at seven o'clock on a Monday morning to see the beast of a car making its turn into her driveway.  He kept his word in spite of what didn't happen between them.  She rushes to grab her purse and PC tablet from her kitchen counter.   She is wearing a new dress purchased when her Aunt Katie came for a visit several months ago and they went shopping.   

She should have worn it long before now like her Aunt told her to.  Sometimes that woman does spout words of wisdom.  She bought Rylie several outfits for work and told her to stop dressing like a martyr because she had got her heart broken.  She was glad Rylie broke up with Mason.  She told Rylie next time get herself a man and not just a pair of pants.  She really disliked Mason and often called him a weasel.  She tried to convince her niece he was using her to get ahead in his law firm.    

After they broke up and word got out about it Rylie knew her Aunt was right.  Allot of Mason's clients were also Braxton Holdings clients.  They talked about work a lot and Rylie referred a lot of their troubled clients to Mason's law firm.    

When her Aunt left to go back home Rylie pushed most of the outfits she bought her to the back of her closet.  She didn't seem to take as much care with her appearance as she should have.  She tried to hide her figure behind baggy pants and big tops. She wore her long dark brown hair in a ponytail or on top of her head in a neat bun in an effort to look as plain as possible up until about two weeks ago when he showed up.  

She's gone back to dressing the way she did before Mason but when it comes to dating her body has been locked in a cage with her mind holding the key.  

Finally seeing him again this weekend in the same location she had her heart broken by him was cathartic and couldn't have happened any better than if she had planned it.  She was afraid of running into him and his girlfriend again although she kept going to that same grocery store every couple of weeks.  The breakup with Mason cast a spell over her emotions she couldn't seem to snap out of until she saw the look of jealousy on his face when he saw Chace's arm wrapped around her waist. 

She is afraid of Chace Braxton he's dark and dangerous, a man that gets what he wants.  He used her in that grocery store to toy with Mason.  Mason is such a fool he probably hasn't figured it out yet.  

Rylie isn't able to get control of her own feelings about Chace she's afraid of how alive and full of passion he makes her feel.  She's been in mourning over her relationship with Mason.  Rylie feels like a fool for giving him that much control over her emotions when the intensity of the chemistry she has with Chace isn't like that she's had with any other man including Mason.   

She came so close to sleeping with him Saturday night it took everything she had not to walk him up her stairs to her bedroom.  Apparently it was the right decision not to.  He admitted to having a date she's sure the woman spent the night she knows she would have.  Damn, she probably had toast and eggs with him Sunday morning using the toaster Rylie picked out.  She might even have helped him unpack all the things Rylie picked out for him.  The more she thinks about it the madder she gets.   

Grabbing her keys she stomps out the front door of her house to get into the Charcoal grey Bentley Mulsanne Chace sent for her.  His driver holds the door open while she gets in.  Rylie is making sure she is right on time getting into it in case he has to report back to his boss.  She's beginning to know Chace's ways, it's something he would do storing it away to use on her later when he wants to get under her skin.  Of course he's been there since the day she opened her front door to him on her doorstep.