Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The next morning after Rylie gets through the security check point she walks to a kiosk to get herself a coffee hoping to wake up.   

"Rylie?"  The woman stands about two feet near her with a haughty expression on her face. 

 Rylie screws up her face recognizing the voice.   She can hear her six inch stilettos scrape the marbled floor as she walked up behind her.  Rylie turns around to face Carolyn Limerick. They started out working for Braxton Holdings at the same time only Carolyn's been promoted several times reaching the executive level.  She doesn't miss an opportunity to rub it in whenever she and Rylie come into contact with one another which is too often for Rylie. 

"Hello Carolyn, what can I do for you?"  Rylie grabs a sugar packet from the condiment's stand to open, pour it in her cup stirring it in her coffee deftly.   

"Aren't you supposed to be in Oz with Jayson?"  Carolyn sounds cordial to her while still being noisy.   

"No Carolyn, I'm right where I'm supposed to be or almost.  I have a meeting in an hour so if you'll excuse me."  Rylie dismisses her as fast as she can throwing her used stirrer in the trashcan. 

"Rylie, wait a minute, I know we don't like each other we never will if I'm honest.  The buzz around this place is that Jayson's brother is going to be managing the company from this location for a while.  Rumors are flying he's not bringing all of his personal staff with him he's picking a new team from here.  I thought you might know more about it?"  Carolyn looks at Rylie expectantly. 

"Carolyn, I don't know what you're talking about, if you're trying to confirm some office gossip I can't do that for you.  I have to go."  Rylie says dryly. 

Carolyn scowls at her.  "Do you always have to be such a bitch about everything Ry?  I don't even know why I talk to you, face it you'll never catch up to me in this company."  Carolyn huffs at her. 

Rylie frowns back at her.  "Carolyn you stopped me I didn't stop you to have a conversation."   

Carolyn rolls her eyes at her.  "You know what forget it you obviously don't know what's going on around here that's why they're going to break up you're department."   Carolyn grabs a couple of napkins from the napkin dispenser as Rylie stares at her.   

"What are you talking about?"  Rylie ask her not understanding. 

"Never mind Rylie, find out on your own."  Carolyn marches off with her coffee and a napkin stuck on the bottom of her stiletto heel.   Rylie would normally get some satisfaction out of telling her but she lets it go.      

Taking the elevator to her floor she gets off rushing down the hall to her office to be greeted by her personal assistant, Beth. 

"Hey, you're early?"  Beth says with a smile. 

"Uh...yeah morning."  Rylie greets her walking into her office she sits at her desk rubbing her fingers across her forehead.  Hitting her intercom she calls  "Beth..." 

"Yeah Ry?  Beth's cheerful voice comes back to her. 

"Has Mr. Braxton called...uh...Jayson?"  

"No....but I heard from his brother just now.  He wanted to know what time your department meeting is this morning.  I didn't tell him you were in yet, I didn't know if you wanted some time to yourself first.  You're usually not in this early when Jayson's not here."