Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Jayson is filled with so many different emotions by the time he gets to Rylie’s corporate apartment, he hesitates trying to pull himself together before knocking on her door.  Rylie hears the thump against her door she looks through the peephole thinking its Chace and Monique.  Learning that it’s only Jayson she jerks the door open then walks away from it. 

“Where’s Chace, he should have been here by now.”  She says feeling on edge.  

 Jayson can see the look of trepidation on her face.  The ramifications of his affair with Monique is causing too heavy a toll on the people he cares about.  He doesn’t excuse Margo or Monique’s greed causing the situation to be worse.  He questions himself, what is wrong with him that he could be so attracted to two women that are so conniving and insensitive when Rylie’s been right in front of him all along.  He doesn’t like the misery he sees on her face although he realizes he should have the same concerns about his brother. 

“Ry…..Chace can take care of himself he always has.”  Jayson says with a touch of petulance creeping into in his voice. 

“That doesn’t stop me from worry about him or my sister Jayson.  Chace said he saw Monique at the bank.   He didn’t know what she looked like he never looked at the tape of you and her.”  Rylie reveals. 

“I never told him about me and Monique, he would have lectured me and told me I was fu₵kin up.    I found out today that Margo was conspiring with Monique to get more money out of me.  Maybe if I was a cold hearted bastard like my big brother I would have slept with your sister and moved on.   I wouldn’t have got my heart broken.”  Jayson wryly comments. 

“That’s a cynical thing to say Jayson you want him to have some blame for the problems you and Monique have between you.”  Rylie remarks. 

“Hell no, I know I was a big part of this.  I also know that your sister is a master manipulator.  She’s playing us all.”  Jayson purses his lips in a thin line.   “Kayla may have been the one to introduce her to this lifestyle but now her own life is in danger because of your sister and she has to run from it.  Leland told me Chace is being delayed because he has to pacify one of our high profile clients.  You don’t have to worry so much about him Rylie he’s a survivor he’s always been the one to clean up messes, it keeps me and my father beholding to him he thrives on it.”   

Rylie understands his anger toward Monique she has her own.  She has tried to excuse the resentment of his brother she hears in his voice but can’t any longer.  “This problem this mess we’re in Jayson, it was created by you, Monique and me.  I knew about your affair I helped you hide it.  I didn’t know all of these things about my sister but I didn’t ask her about her life either.  What is it with you Jay?  If Chace hadn’t stepped in when he did I don’t know where we would be now.   I’m not happy with the way he’s acting about the situation but I recognize that at least he’s doing something to clean it up.  Why do you resent him so much he’s looking out for you?”   

Jayson realizes he’s caused that look of bewilderment on her face apparently Chace hasn’t told her anything about their family drama, he’s grateful for that.   

“Ry, how much do you care about Chace?”  Jayson asks he knows it goes beyond what she feels for him. 

“I care Jayson, I can’t put it in a measuring cup and tell you how much I’m still trying to figure it out.”  She reluctantly admits. 

The knots in Jayson’s stomach just got tighter.  “You’ve slept with him?” 

“Is that a question or a statement?”  She murmurs.