Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Jackson Blaine is frustrated with the hospital administrative staff. They have advised him it will be impossible to vacate the hospital floor when it's not definite that the suspects he is looking for will show up and haven't been seen yet on any of the security cameras. Several woman have come in to have babies and it's interfering with his officer's and undercover detective's attempts to catch Quinton. Elevators are crowded with people getting on and off. The waiting rooms are filled with family and friends waiting to hear of baby arrival news and visiting those that have already had babies.

Jackson talks with Richard, Chace and Rylie about the issues they face as they wait to see if Quinton will make an attempt to come to the hospital. His phone clipped on the side of his belt loop keeps peeping with messages, he ignores it for a time because of their discussion. Mr. Braxton is not happy, he may have issues with his sons but he is a proud grandfather he wants assurances that his granddaughter will be safe, he's willing to throw around his influence and money to achieve it.

Jackson advises they are doing all that they can he has undercover officers throughout the hospital but they can't make a move until Quinton or his Uncle Asa and their men show their faces.

Baby Cameron has already been taken from her nursery and moved to a secluded private room in the birthing center with limited staff knowing where she is being safely kept. Jayson and Monique arrive at the secluded room. The same two police officers guard the hospital room door while another undercover detective hangs around the nurse's station nearby.

As Monique is being helped into the hospital bed she can hear her baby crying. She's only held her little girl once since she had her. After getting set up in the bed she watches as the nurse tending to her tries to comfort her. The baby squirms and wiggles in her arms stretching her little limbs as far as they go having a real temper tantrum.

Jayson approaches the nurse with concern asking to hold his daughter. The nurse hands the baby to him along with a bottle then leaves the room. Monique tries not to focus her attention on father and daughter bonding. Baby Randi stops crying in Jayson's arms he's making baby sounds cooing and grinning at the baby as he feeds her. Monique turns her head not wanting to see them together trying so hard to remain detached.

A tear falls from her eye, she wipes it away before turning back toward the baby and Jayson only to find Jayson so close to the hospital bed with the baby in his arms. Monique can't help but focus on the baby's little cheeks sucking eagerly at the bottle.

"She's a healthy eater isn't she?" Jayson says smiling down at his daughter. Monique can only stare at her newborn little girl completely forgetting the turmoil and danger outside of her hospital room door. She sets up in the bed to get a better look at her baby. Jayson can see the look of longing on her face, he sets on the edge of the bed while still holding their daughter in his arms.

"Monique, hold her?" He gently shifts the baby toward her while taking the baby bottle out of the baby's mouth. Randi lets out a loud whaling cry no longer able to be soothed by her bottle and probably hungry.

"I can't Jayson, what if I....oh my goodness she's so beautiful." Monique reaches her hand out to touch the baby's small hand. Her tiny fingers latch onto Monique's finger as she continues to cry. Monique catches her breath at the baby's contact. She never expected to feel this way. Having no one to communicate with, she often talked to her little girl while she was still in her womb. She sang songs to her that her mother often sang to her and Rylie when they were little girls. Jayson gently lays baby Randi in Monique's arms, placing the baby's bottle in her hand urging her to feed Randi.