Saving or Saved

"I'm sorry Peter." I choked out as I let myself drift into a dreamless sleep.

  Time was passing and I was better now, but mentally I wasn't doing too well. The things in my past kept me awake at night, the reason everyone around me seems to get hurt or die. It was starting to crush me, but I knew now that I wasn't alone.

  "Mom, is that you?"

  "Your mother died, and it was all because you couldn't keep your mouth shut."

  "I already know it's my fault, just like Mr.Parker's death was my fault. I failed in saving two people, not just one but two people that would've given anything, because they were kind."

  "Now you see why you can't let anyone in."

  "Because whenever I do they get hurt, or killed. Which is why I've always been on my own, until this year."

  "Are you planning on letting them get hurt?" She asked as she used her hands, and forced me to the ground with a force that hurt my very being.

  "I have friends, and they care for me, and I know for damn sure that they are safe as long as I breathe! Nothing will hurt them! Nothing can hurt them, because I'm Spidergirl, and no matter how many times I get hit, I always get up! No matter what the cost!" I said as I gasped for air, bolting upright.

  "Alice you alright?!"

  "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I asked as I saw most of the team in my doorway.

  "You were screaming." Clint said as I stood up, walking towards the door.

  "Sorry, it was just part of a dream. I'm so sorry." I said, grabbing my bag, and running into my bathroom to change into my suit, before going to the top of the tower and jumping off.

  "I just need to clear my head, that's all, right?" I asked myself as I stuck to the side of an office building, looking out over the bright city lights against the dark starry sky.

  "I'm sure this is all just me being paranoid, besides I've seen things, evil things that would get to people's heads. I'm sure it's just part of being a hero." I said as I jumped down, changing into regular clothes in an alley before walking down the almost empty streets of Queens.

  "What's a little girly like you doing on this side of the city alone?" I heard a deep voice, followed by low chuckles ask as I continued walking, ignoring their comments.

  "Hey I'm talkin to ya!" The man said, grabbing my wrist as I turned quickly, right hooking his jaw.

  "Don't underestimate girls, they're just as strong as men if not stronger." I said putting my headphones on as I began walking again, until I was grabbed by the waist.

  "Let go of me you jackass!" I said, kicking him in his sensitive area before webbing his eyes, and starting a full on fight.

  "Get her boys!" He said as the other three men charged at me, grabbing my arms, and one grabbing both my legs.

  "Hey!"

  "Aww little girly not as strong as she thought now are ya doll?"

  "I said let go!" I yelled, sending a burst of electricity before landing on my but on the pavement. I scrambled for my bag, but the first man had it.

  "That's not yours." I said as he pulled out my student ID.

  "She's an Avengers kid, Alice Barton. She'll come in handy for ransom."

  "You wouldn't get away with it if you tried."

  "Let me tell ya something real quick." He said as the other men got up, grabbing me again as they pinned me to the sidewalk.

  "Hail Hydra." He whispered in my ear as I squirmed, trying to get out of their grasp, but now it was no use. They broke my webshooters, and knew who I was, I wasn't safe now, and neither was anyone else.

  "Hey you big bullies, pick on someone your own size!" I heard a familiar voice say as I thanked god.

  "Look boys, it's the bug."

  "Actually spiders are technically arachnids." He said, jumping down, and taking out the guys holding me down.

  "You alright?"

  "Peachy, let's finish this, together." I said as he nodded, handing me a webshooter from his left wrist.

  "Thanks Spidey." I said as we took out the last couple guys before I called 911.

  "What were you even doing out here at this hour? It's one of the worst areas in the city!"

  "I was coming to see you, I can't go back home tonight." I said as he could tell I was being honest.

  "Come stay with us, you'll be safer there than on the streets." He said as I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck as he lifted us off the ground.

  "I could've saved myself ya know."

  "That's an odd way of saying thank you."

  "Sorry, just having a rough night." I said as he landed in the alley by the apartment building.

  "Go up to the door, I'll meet you there." He said as I nodded, slinging my backpack on, and walking up through the building. I knocked on the door, trying to shake away the pit in my gut.

  "Everything is okay now, I'm safe." I said to myself as Peter opened the door, and I walked in, going straight to his room.

  "You sure you're okay?" He asked nervously as I laid on the top bunk, hugging my bag close to me.

  "Yeah, I'm alright.....just a little broken." I whispered to myself once I realized he had fallen asleep.