Long Time No See

I couldn't believe how fast time was going by, my twins fourth birthday, and they were getting so big. I was setting up their presents and decorations as I dropped a glass on the floor, shattering into pieces as I groaned.

  "You've made it this long, keep going," I told myself as Nat came from the training room, Steve following as I smiled flakily, stepping on a shard of cup with a hiss.

  "Son of a-"

  "Don't finish that," Steve threatened as I shook my head, pulling the glass from my foot as it healed.

  "Okay, I'll admit I could use a little help," I sighed as Nat laughed, helping me set up streamers.

  "Is Thor coming," Steve asked as I sighed again.

  "We haven't seen him since the twins were born Steve, I doubt he'll be here," I said as he nodded, heading upstairs.

  "Thanks for the help Nat, it means a lot," I said as we worked on balloons, blowing them up as they scattered on the floor.

  "You know I'm always here," she said as I tilted my head, the balloon slipping away as it deflated around the room.

  "Have been for the last four years," I said, jumping off the counter I was currently seated on and picking up the limp balloon as I heard three sets of small running steps, Loki, Frigga and Morgan bursting into the room laughing as they kicked the balloons out of their path.

  "Gwen," Morgan smiled as I picked her up, hugging her as my kids ran to Nat. The twins had stayed over at Tony's with Morgan since Tony didn't want her to stay here as he and Pepper walked in with the cake.

  "Thanks for picking it up, there's just so much to do and so little time and-"

  "Gwen...it's fine," Tony smiled as Pepper hugged me, and he set the cake down as I went to look at it.

  "Paw Patrol...I never thought I'd be buying a birthday cake for kids at this age yet...I feel old," I sighed, running my fingers through my long hair as Aunt May walked in, carrying gift bags.

  "Aunt May, it's good to see you," I smiled as she hugged me, and I walked over to the counter, grabbing everything I would need.

  "The other kids will be here soon, I need every room except this one and the bathroom down the hall closed off, and I need this stuff outside," I said as I grabbed two of the large plastic tables, carrying them outside as I set them on the grass.

  "Bounce house should be here any minute, magician is scheduled for two and-"

  "Activities for the adults we've got you covered," Steve said as he walked out.

  "Thank you guys for doing this stuff," I sighed again, thanking people for the hundredth time today as they laughed.

  "Bounce house for...Gwen Stacy," a man said as I turned around with a nod.

  "Set it up right over there please and thank you," I said as I finished putting down the green and light blue table cloths, and making sure everything was right one last time as I ran inside to change.

  "Loki, Frigga head outside and have fun, happy birthday babies," I smiled as they smiled back, hugging me as I sighed, tying my hair into a braid before heading downstairs. Maybe allowing the kids to invite their entire preschool class wasn't a good idea, but they were having fun and that was all that mattered. By the time it was time for bed that night I had to carry them to bed and lay them down, both of them exhausted as I gently pushed Loki's long raven hair off his face.

  "Good night my little prince," I smiled, kissing his forehead as I did the same with Frigga before heading downstairs to finish clean up.

  "Thanks for letting us stay for the night," Pepper said as she helped wash some of the tables and floors.

  "Of course, once an Avenger always an Avenger, besides it's a long drive and Morgan's tired, Tony's sleeping and I'm guessing you're exhausted from helping today," I said as I sat down, her sitting next to me as I set two cups of warm tea on the table.

  "I am...but at least we didn't lose anyone today," she sighed as I nodded, thinking back to that day almost five years ago when Loki died, Thanos snapped everyone away, and the whole world went crazy.

  "I still miss them...especially him, and my son looks more and more like him every day," I said as she nodded.

  "He looks just like him, and she looks like you, but you've still got us, we aren't going anywhere," she said as I smiled, standing up.

  "I'm gonna....I'm heading to bed," I said, playing with my fingers before heading up the stairs, changing into pajamas and climbing in bed, everything feeling so still, so quiet, and for a moment you would have thought nothing ever changed, but that doesn't last, not in this world.

  "Mama," Loki muttered as he and Frigga walked in.

  "What's wrong kids?"

  "Loki doesn't feel well, he woke me up," she grumbled tiredly as I motioned for them to come towards me.

  "Okay, sweetheart, no fever, but both of you can sleep in here tonight if you want," I said as they nodded, happily climbing in bed with me as they laid on either side of me, snuggling close as I smiled.

  "I love you," I said as I felt my right side feeling less weight on it, looking from Frigga over to Loki as he was gone, all that was there a small pile of dust where my son was laying not even a moment ago as tears filled my eyes, and my breathing stopped, feeling everything ache as I tried to grab at the small specs.

  "Loki...no."