Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

The blood, the blood, the blood of the lamb

It's worth two lions, but here I am

And I slept in last night's clothes and tomorrow's dreams

But they're not quite what they seem

We visited the twins first before going over to the Payne-Malik household. The hospital was the exact way it had been just the day before, just as sad and depressing as it always probably would be. To be quite honest I was sick of hospitals, and I couldn't wait for the day I no longer had to deal with them.

Niall and I walked to the NICU hand in hand while I carried Jemma's car seat. It was going to be tough leaving Jonah here alone, but we would still come as often as we could. Sarah greeted us like she always did, a smile on her face as she took us down to the twins room. She was talking about how exciting it was that Jemma was finally going home, and how she would miss her.

"And I have even more good news for the both of you, Jonah is starting to breathe without the help of the ventilator and he's finally gaining weight."

"That means he's improving right?" Niall asked, looking at Sarah over my shoulder. Sarah nodded, her smile getting even brighter if that was at all possible.

"If he's anything like his sister, he should be out of here before you know it." Sarah opened the door to the twins room, revealing a less crowded room. They had taken out the ventilator for Jemma, along with the incubator. She was now laying in a normal bassinet.

"I thought you said he was breathing without the ventilator?" I said, confused as to why it was still in here.

"Just to be safe. He's relapsed a couple times, so we keep it close. Now are you boys ready to take home your little girl?" Sarah looked at us expectantly, but neither Niall or I made a move towards the little girl.

Honestly, I was scared to touch her.

I didn't even know about Niall.

"I can assure you she doesn't bite." Sarah said, her smile still warm as Niall and I stood frozen.

"Is it safe?" I asked, not wanting to pick her up with the risk of her breaking.

God.

I wasn't this bad with A.J.

But then again... A.J. wasn't this sick when he was born.

"I can assure you it's very safe. Here, make a cradle with your arms and I'll put her there for you." I started to protest as she picked up Jemma from the bassinet, but as soon as she placed the incredibly tiny baby in my arms I realized I was once again being an idiot.

Niall looked at her from beside me, a fond smile on his face as he stroked her cheek.

"She looks like you." He said, causing me to look at him. All the anger I had felt towards him earlier was gone now, replaced with happiness and admiration for the man next to me.

"I love you." I whispered, kissing the side of his head before looking back down at Jemma. Niall was right about her looking more like me than him. There were brunette curls sticking out from underneath her beanie, the imprint of a dimple showing as she yawned.

"She's got dimples too..."

"I think all of our kids are going to have dimples." Niall said, once again stroking Jemma's cheek. Niall was so entranced with Jemma that he didn't quite hear the little squeal that came from the incubator where Jonah was. I instantly passed Jemma over to Niall before walking over to it. Jonah was moving around, something that I hadn't quite seen. His eyes were wide open, quiet whimpers escaping his little mouth. I reached into the incubator slowly, touching the side of his arm. He quieted almost instantly, have his eyes looking up at the ceiling just like the last time. Sarah stood next to me as we looked at Jonah, her smile still bright.

Sometimes I wonder if her smile is never bright...

Or if she ever stops smiling for that matter.

"That's the fastest he's ever calmed down since he found out he could use his lungs." Sarah said softly.

"Is that a good thing?" I asked, not looking at her though. All my attention was on the little baby boy.

"Well I would assume so, I can't even do that and I've been taking care of them both since day one... Niall and you are naturals." Sarah said, patting my arm before clapping her hands.

"Well I'm gonna go grab the release papers for Jemma, so you guys will be okay for a few minutes?" Niall and I both let out sounds of acknowledgment before there was the sound of the door closing. Niall walked back over to my side, Jemma fast asleep in his arms.

"He looks like you too. Honestly they all look like you." Niall said, looking down at Jonah who now had a firm grasp on my index finger.

Well as firm as a sickly baby can grasp anyways.

"No.. Alexander looks like you. He's got the Horan eyes, the Horan smile... Horan attitude. He's all you, all he got from me were the dimples." I whispered, still looking down at Jonah.

"He got your sense of humor."

"That's hardly genetic Niall."

"I'm just saying..."

"You're an idiot." I said, shaking my head fondly. Niall pouted a little, looking at me with a small hint of disbelief.

"That's my line." He whined.

"Would you prefer slut dresser?" I asked, arching an eyebrow at my husband.

"Well yeah... I mean you're my idiot and I'm your slut dresser... That's how it's always been, and that's how it always should be... Don't you think?"

"Yeah... My silly little slut dresser."

------------------------------------

Lol.

So much for Zayn being in this chapter.

Next chapter for sure.

I kinda got carried away with the Narry fluff and the twins..

This also would've been up earlier but I got really busy.

I had to go to my cousin's cause she's leaving on her mission tomorrow (I won't see her till July next year... She's like one of my best friends :(.)

But yeah.

There might be an update tomorrow. I don't know.

Also, I would like to thank you all so much for voting for Shiver in the bromance awards. It won first place and I'm still kinda freaking out about it.

It seriously does blow my mind at how much you guys support this series. Never in a million years did I think it would get this far.

So thank you.

I'm gonna be doing a twitcam this weekend (Saturday night, mark your calendars for the day I make a total fool of myself :D.)

There's a small little story thingy on my profile for you guys to submit questions you want answered :)

I love you guys so much :)

Comment

And

Vote

Connie xx