Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I'm talking to what's left of you

Watching what I say

Counting all the freckles on your perfect face

I hated waiting rooms. It didn't matter how many I've been in, it didn't matter how many I'll ever have to be in. I hated them. They were uncomfortable. They didn't help take your mind off things.

They forced you to think about why you were there.

And the reason why I'm here isn't a good one.

I couldn't tell you how long I had been waiting, it honestly felt like an eternity. Niall wasn't really helping to keep my mind off it, his legs kept bouncing up and down and he kept chewing on his fingernails. He hadn't spoken a word to me since we got here.

I understood though.

We were both terrified.

It wasn't everyday you're in the hospital cause your three year old son bad a seizure.

I wanted to say something to him, I wanted to let him know that it was going to be okay.

But thing was, I didn't know that. I didn't even know what triggered the damn seizure in the first place. He was fine one second and then he was on the floor thrashing the next.

I felt like I was in one of those stupid ass soap operas my mum used to watch. Either that or some sort of nightmare.

Probably both.

"Harry?" Niall whispered, finally looking at me for the first time since we got there.

"Yeah?" I whispered back, my hands shaking as I looked up. I felt like I was going to puke.

I was so worried.

"He's gonna be okay right?" Niall asked, and to be honest I wish he hadn't. I didn't know what to tell him. I couldn't tell him yes, because what if he wasn't? And if I told him no, Niall wouldn't be able to handle it.

"I-I don't know. I honestly don't know Ni." My voice cracked as I looked at him, the sudden want to scream coming over me. This wasn't fair.

Why hadn't they told us anything yet?!

"Alexander Styles?" A doctor walked out of the ER door, he held in his hands a clipboard but he wasn't smiling. That didn't make me feel any better. Niall and I both stood up before walking over to him.

"How is he?" Niall asked, worry clear on his face as he grabbed my hand. I still had yet to form words...

"He's stable. His fever is still pretty high though and were trying to figure out what's causing that. The fever is what we believe caused the seizure, but we can't be sure. How long has he been sick?"

"Just today. He woke up and puked all over the floor. I noticed he had a fever a little after that... So I gave him some Tylenol and we fell asleep for a few hours. When we woke up though he still had the fever." I finally said, my voice quiet.

"Okay. Thank you." The doctor nodded, but he didn't say anything to help calm our worries.

"C-Can we see him?" Niall whispered, looking at the doctor anxiously as he glanced down at his notes.

"He's still in intensive care Mr. Styles. It's probably best if you wait for a little while."

"Please... I just need to see that he's okay." Niall sounded desperate, looking at the doctor as if this was a life or death matter.

To be honest it felt like one.

"I'm sorry, but it's for the be-" the doctor went to said, luckily for him a familiar face appeared.

"Harry? Niall? What are the two of you doing here? You don't have an appointment for another two weeks." Mr. Caplow appeared out of the hallway, his face a pure mask of confusion and concern.

"What's going on Hector?" Mr. Caplow said, turning to the dick doctor with a frown. Dick doctor looked at him like he was some sort of bug on his shoe, you could tell he didn't like Mr. Caplow.

"I just told them they aren't allowed to see their son. It's for safety precautions." Hector said, shrugging like it wasn't a big deal.

It was very much a big deal.

This dick wouldn't let us see our son.

Niall was to the point of tears at this time, his shoulders shaking and small sniffles escaping him. Hector didn't stick around for Mr. Caplow's reply, instead he walked off leaving Niall and I glaring after him.

"What's wrong with Alexander?"

"H-He had a seizure." Niall whispered, rubbing at his eyes a little. Mr. Caplow gave him a sympathetic smile as he patted his shoulder.

"He's gonna be okay Niall."

"How do you know?"

"Because I just know... Now how about I sneak the two of you into his room? I'm sure he's asking for his daddies by now." He whispered, smiling at the two of us.

"Thank you Mr. Caplow..." Niall whispered, smiling through his tears.

"You boys are like family, it's the least I could do. And please, call me Jack. Mr. Caplow makes me feel old. Now come along, we need to get there before Hector gets back. He's a real stick in the mud." Jack motioned towards the doors before we all walked towards them. We followed Jack down the endless hallway, nerves eating away at the both of us. Jack stopped at room 209 where in messy handwriting A.J.'s full name and date of birth was written.

"Good luck boys. I'll see you in two weeks." And with that he left us. When we opened the door, I was honestly preparing myself for the worse.

But it was pointless.

For there sat my little boy, his eyes wide open and a spoon on his nose. His face brightened as soon as he saw us.

"Mummy! Daddy! Look I do!" He pointed to the spoon on his nose, and I let out a relived laugh.

He was gonna be okay.

----------------------------------------

I feel like my writing isn't like how it used to be.

I don't know.

I feel like it's not as good :/

Oh well.

Comment

And

Vote

Connie