Unease

Unease

2015 © All Rights Reserved

As Macy's friend, Silas takes her on a drive to a party in the middle of nowhere, an uneasy feeling creeps it's way into her mind.

Silas turned to Macy who had her eyes fiaxted on the screen, watching the ending episode to season one of American Horror Story. She picked up one chip after the other, stuffing it into her mouth. The crunching filled the room, overpowering the noise from the television. Silas smiled, "You sound like a cow when you eat."

"At least I don't have the equivalent weight to a cow," She retorted, not taking her eyes off of the tv.

Silas' face dropped, it no longer had the hint of a playful expression. It was now replaced with embarrassment and sadness. "Why do you do that Macy?" He asked.

She held her index finger up to him, signaling him to wait. She watched the remaining minutes to the episode and turned the tv off. "What were you saying?" She faced him.

The room was now dark without the brightness producing from the tv. The light from the kitchen in the next room gave enough illumination so the two friends could see each other, but not the small details like the freckles on Silas' face or the bags under Macy's eyes from the lack of sleep.

"When you go to pick on me, you always criticize my weight. You know I'm at a healthy weight for my height and age, but yet you keep ridiculing me." Silas answered, his lips formed into a grimace.

"You know I only mess with you. If I knew you were so sensitive then I would've never said it. I'm sorry." She apologized, wanting the features on his face to stop looking so hurt and more of a happier expression appear. His look didn't transform into a merry smile or cheerful eyes like she had wanted, but more into a blank expression. "Si?" She waved her hand in front of his face, but he didn't move an inch. He sat there like a statue and eyes never moved from the spot of the wall he had been watching intently. "Anyone in there?" Her balled up fist knocked onto his head as if it were a door.

"Huh?" Silas looked at her with uncertainty of what was going on.

"You okay?" Macy asked out of true concern for her friend.

"Yeah, of course." He nodded his head with a smile that assured her he was telling the truth.

One corner of her lips lifted up into a half smile, "What were you thinking about?" Silas looked at a time on his phone then smiled. "Why the smile?" She poked at his stomach.

"Nothing." He said then paused for a moment. "There's somewhere I want to take you tonight."

"Oh, where?"

"A party. It's at the cabin we partied at last summer, you remember?" He mentioned then eyed her up and down, examining her clothes. She wore a dark navy blue sweater and jeans that fit her just right. "What you're wearing is fine, so we can leave now."

"You're in a hurry." She joked. "Should I leave a note for my roommate so she doesn't come home and wonder why I'm not here?"

"Nah. I'm sure her job isn't to keep constant tabs on you all hours of the night and day."

With that, she grabbed her purse and the both of them left in Silas' car. The first ten minutes of the car ride was silent as the both of them avoided conversation. Silas drove while Macy played on her phone, checking out the news of what was going on in the world around them. "Holy shit." Macy almost dropped her phone.

"What?" Silas looked over at her.

"I just read an article about three girls and a baby missing a couple towns over. Apparently a lot has happened that night. There was a murder of a teenage boy named James and his mother was dismembered out in the yard. Also, the old woman tasked with watching the missing baby died of a fatal blow to the head. And a, oh god, who would do that?" Macy gasped.