Asylum

Asylum (Part Three to Imagination)

2014 © All Rights Reserved

Maria has been caught and sent to the home of the mentally ill.

There wasn't much she remembered after being taken to the hospital, only bits and pieces. She didn't get why she was taken to the hospital, she was alive and okay. As they said, it was to be sure she was really fine. Maria remembered one of the moments she woke up, staring at the tall police officer, standing guard in the doorway for her hospital room. She was roomed alone and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

"Are you going to take me away?" Maria said sluggishly through the drugs administered to her through an IV that was stabbed into her arm. The guard ignored her and her lips pursed together angrily. "Hey! I was talking to you!"

The guard turned to her, his facial expression seeming annoyed. Then his head turned away from her, staring at the attractive nurse that passed by him.

Maria didn't know why the ignoring or non responsiveness of him made her furious, but it did. I'll show you. She said inside her head. She knew he couldn't hear her, but actions speak louder than words and she was going to make sure she was noticed.

With one hand on the IV, she sucked in a huge breath. She let it out as she ripped the IV out of her arm and took off to the window on the other side of the hospital room. As she made it to the window, it caught the guards attention. He got up quickly, but by the time he hurried over, she already had the window open. She stood in the opening of the widow, edging closer to her soon fate.

"Maria, get down here. You don't have to do this. Just take my hand." He said with a soft spoken voice.

With a crooked grin, she tilted her head at him in awe, "The mute talks." She sounded amused.

"Get down here, please." He tried to inch closer to her without her noticing, but she recognized every move he made.

"Why didn't you answer me when I spoke to you?" She asked, speaking normally as if she wasn't so close to an inevitable death. Maria's room was on the sixth story and she looked down, knowing she could splatter her remains all over the road with people watching. By now, she already gained a small audience watching her bare feet standing on the ledge.

He looked appalled at her, "I'm sorry, I was having a bad day. If you come down from there, we can talk."

Patients and nurses stood outside of the room, watching through the glass wall. Maria looked at them and flashed them a smile to which they gave an uncomfortable look.

"That's all I wanted." Maria said with a sweet smile and she hopped down from the ledge and onto the hospital floor.

The officer looked confused, but relieved as she took the step closer to him. He grabbed her and took some handcuffs from the back pocket of his pants, cuffing her to the hospital bed and securing her safety for now. He dreaded the thought if she would try something again.

"Is that really necessary?" She looked down at the shiny cuff while he went and closed the window, locking it shut.

"Yes." He responded, afraid of what would happen if he ignored her again. "It's for your safety."

"It was just a game." Maria looked at him, her dark brown eyes staring at him. The look she gave him and the way she spoke made him shift uncomfortably where he was standing.

"Trying to kill yourself isn't a game."

She shook her head, "You don't get it. You remember the game you would play as kids? The doctor game where one of you would pretend you're dying while the other one tries to save you?"