Intruder

Intruder

2013 © All Rights Reserved

When Lacy's roommate leaves for a vacation, she unprepared for what comes next.

"It's only a week, I promise you'll be fine." Lacy's roommate, Tilly reassured her. Her hand caressed Lacy's shoulder. "If you need me, I'm a phone call away."

"What if I-" Lacy started, unable to finish her sentence. Her eyes scanned the ground as if it would help her find the words she was desperately searching for. "I don't know."

Tilly grabbed her chin, lifting it."Chin up."

"Have fun." Lacy picked up her friend's bag, reluctantly handing it over.

"Remember, you can call me." Those were the last words Tilly spoke before she left the house and exited to her car.

Lacy plopped on the couch, grabbing the remote to flip through the channels until she realized nothing entertained her. She picked up her phone to call her close friend, Jake. After one ring, it went straight to voicemail. "Shit." She cursed him for him not answering.

Lacy yawned, stretched her body like a cat then headed up the stairs for a night's rest. As she made her way up the stairs, she made a right into the first room, curling up in her bed.

She listened to the sounds of the wind picking up outside, branches hitting the windows as a storm stirred up outside her house. Drops of rain from the clouds hit her house. Her eyes watched streams of rain racing down her window. In her mind, she guessed which would make it to the bottom first.

Her eyes then watched the clock, staring at the red glowing lights of the time. 8:37, it read. She usually wouldn't even think about sleep until midnight, but tonight she felt especially tired, ready to invite sleep in.

The moon shined into her room, giving light to the dark room she found comfort in.

As she pulled the covers over her tiny frame, she let sleep take her over, her eyelids shutting to the soft sounds of the whistling wind.

Lacy awoke, listening to the pounding against the roof of her house as the rain picked up. Her eyes made their way to the time. 2:44am. She sighed, getting out of bed and walking out of her room and to the bathroom at the end of the hall.

Lacy stared at the pill bottle on the counter, debating whether to take them or not. Deciding not, she stared into her reflection. Dark circles around her eyes, stray hairs sticking up and out of her messy bun, and the unbearable need of water.

As she quenched her thirst out of the bathroom sink, she turned off the bathroom light, walking out the bathroom until a noise caught her attention. She backed up in the bathroom, closing the door quietly, listening with her ear against the door.

Footsteps made their way up the stairs. Doors creaked open and closed as the mysterious person made their way to the bathroom. A tingling feeling spread through her body causing her to shake. Her breathing became irregular. Her heart moved at an unsteady pace, the beat becoming more rapid and harder against her chest.

Lacy paced in the bathroom, biting her nails, thinking of what to do. She didn't have much time until the person made it to the bathroom.

She opened the cabinets to under her sink, climbing in, being thankful she was tiny enough to fit it. Carefully, she closed the doors to where they wouldn't make a noise when closing. Just like clockwork, the door creaked open to the bathroom. A spider crawled onto Lacy's shoulder, it's leg tickling her skin. She flicked it off of her shoulder, listening to the footsteps. She didn't know who was in her house or why.