Sinners

There's romance in this story. I'm not very good at it, but please just stick with me.

Sinners

2015 © All Rights Reserved

Living in a conservative town with close-minded people makes Miya's feelings complicated when she meets a girl named Kaya, who's just like her.

"It's a sin," Miya lowered her head, raising her fist thinking about knocking on the door. "What you're feeling is a sin. Mom and Dad said so." She thought about walking away from Kaya's front door. Kaya was the new girl who moved in next to her recently. A brisk coldness of air whipped against Miya's unexpecting body. Kaya stood in the frame of the door with a smile that made Miya's heart melt.

"Come on in, silly!" Kaya exclaimed, grabbing her arm and dragging her into the house away from the warm air outside, filled with humidity and into the nice, cool air of Kaya's home. Goosebumps raised on Miya's skin. It wasn't from the cold, more of the touch of Kaya. Miya looked down at her arm, the girl still holding onto it. "Oh, sorry," She let go with a shy smile.

"So how's it going?" Miya asked her, feeling weird about not saying a word until now.

While Kaya went on about her day, Miya took the time to soak in her surroundings. The smell of oranges filled the air, she seen an air freshner nailed into the wall, spraying out a citrus scent every ten minutes or every time someone walked past. She remembered the first time coming over, the device almost gave her a heartattack. The freshner masked the smell of Kaya's dad's bad smoking addiction in the house.

It looked like a modern home with family potraits strewn on the walls, trophies and awards of Kaya's achievments sat in a glass stand.

"Miya? Kaya stopped talking and focused on getting her attention now.

"Yeah?" She stopped letting her eyes wander around the house.

"Were you even listening?" She asked as if she already knew the answer with her scrutinizing eyes.

Miya thought about lying, but figured it would do no good in the first place, "Sorry, no." Kaya frowned at her and she could feel her heart tear a little. "It's no you, it's me. Just got a lot on my mind today."

"Like what?" Kaya hopped up onto the kitchen counter, snacking on the cookies her mom left out for her. Crumbs spilled onto the hem of her shirt as she chewed them, the gooey chocolate chips melting in her mouth.

"Nothing important." Miya tried to wave the subject away.

Kaya narrowed her eyes at her friend, "It obviously is important if you're going to ignore me over it." She teased with a partial amount of seriousness in her voice. She slapped a spot on the counter next to her. "Come, sit and tell me your troubles."

Miya hopped on the counter and looked at her shirt, snickering. "You're such a messy eater." She swiped the crumbs off of her shirt and onto the ground.

"No! Now I'm gonna have to sweep that up. I could've let the crumbs take home on my shirt." Kaya gave a fake pouting face.

"Go on then, sweep it up." Miya nudged her.

Kaya was about to jump off of the counter and clean up the mess her friend made. She stopped and turned to Miya with a knowing smile. She shook her head. "I can't believe I almost fell for that."

"For what?" Miya played dumb, staring at the little crumbs of cookies on the floor, ignoring the piercing blue eyed stare belonging to Kaya.

"Don't do that, you know what I'm talking about. You need to tell me what's on your mind, missy."