Valentine

Valentine

2018 © All Rights Reserved

It was the night filled with romance or loneliness. And this year, he wouldn't be alone.

Normally, I wouldn't do this. It was out of character for me, but the times were beginning to change. Meeting a stranger in public and hitting it off was becoming a rarity as the online community took over, their anxieties too high to mumble a simple hello and insecurities forcing them to find comfort behind the screen to avoid any confrontation as they weeded out the bad and good.

I scrolled through the messages, trying to prove to myself that this was really happening.

I'll meet you at 6 pm at The Cheesecake Factory. :)

I stared at the message, repeating it over and over in my head. I imagined her smile, what it would be like in person and her voice. Would it be high pitched and sweet or warm like a campfire? Her name was Jessica. Blonde curly hair that fell just past her shoulders and blue eyes that popped in her pictures due to either editing or makeup. She seemed sweet and like good company, I could feel the excitement start to build in my chest. In the moment, I swear I felt like a preschooler finally being able to hold hands with my crush for the first time.

Tonight felt special. And there was no way I would let anyone or anything ruin it.

For an hour I stood in front of my closet with no idea what to wear. I wanted to look my best tonight but the clothing choices fell short of what I wanted to show off myself to be. First impressions were everything and I wanted to make a statement.

Sliding the hangers over to the reject pile, I only came across one outfit that I didn't hate. A red button up with black slacks. The last time I wore it was for a job interview and it impressed them enough to hire me. Maybe my luck would work the same this time around.

After stripping down and dressing into my outfit, I looked at myself once with a smile then left the house promptly after that. I didn't want to question my look too much.

Am I overthinking everything?

Is it too much for a first date?

Do I bring anything?

It's Valentine's Day, do I bring chocolate or flowers?

I shook my head at myself. Typical Brandon, always turning one thing into another until it's a big deal and I start to panic. Grabbing my keys, I took a deep breath in and out.

Tonight will be great. I tell myself. It's going to be perfect.

And then out the door I went before staring at the framed photo that hung up on my wall. The woman stared back at me. Karen, the first and only woman I've come to love. A hint of guilt hit me, thinking about the date I'd soon be going on.

I will only love you Karen.

-

The waitress sat me on the outside patio which I was thankful for, I began to feel as I would suffocate inside with constant chattering of couples among one another. The outside was quiet and calm. Not too many people invaded the patio.

"I'm waiting for someone, can you make sure she finds her way to the table?" I spoke up before she could ask what I wanted.

"Sure thing, sir." She said with a winning smile that she probably perfected over time as being a waitress as she sat two menus down on the table. "Name?"

"Jessica. She's meeting Brandon. Which is me." A slight awkward chuckle fell out of my mouth after I said it. It felt so unnatural and strange. Looking at the waitress's name tag, it said Charlotte. Charlotte gave me a look that she could tell I was out of my comfort zone. Her judging eyes stared me up and down before she spoke up with her voice filled with fake enthusiasm. "While you're waiting, can I get you anything to drink?"