To Stop A Monster

To Stop A Monster

2013 © All Rights Reserved

Eliza is haunted by the same dream, when given the chance to stop it from happening in real life, will she be able to do it?

Everyone gathered around in the field to watch a movie that would project on the screen. The movie showing tonight was a classic, Stand By Me.

While there were some teenagers including myself, children and their parents populated most of the field. A certain child caught my eye, she stared intently at another child, observing him like he was some toy.

The movie started, but yet I still stared at the girl. She continued to stare at the boy near her. A worried feeling hit the pit of my stomach. Something wasn't right.

The young girl stood up, her shadow blocking most of the screen, everyone's attention was on her now. Her shadow grew and casted over all of the young one's silhouette figures even though she was just a small child herself.

When I looked at her, her eyes found their way to me, she wasn't the same kid she was five seconds ago.

This one was replaced with a more evil version, eyes as black as soot, teeth as sharp as needles, and a scream that could haunt any child's dreams for the rest of their life.

The girl looked away from me then the frenzy started.

She charged at the young boy she stared at for so long, feasting on him like a starved zombie would. Her legs ran faster than any of the children as she went on a rampage, making the last thing these children saw before she ended their short, short life, a hideous beast that would feast on them and rip out their hearts.

She bellowed, overpowering the sounds of everyone's screams. All I could do was watch, my head told me to run, but I was forced to stay and watch the gruesome killings of small children.

The parents had to watch while in the state of shock, anger, and sadness. Some would try to stop her, but she would prevail, and they would be just another one of the bodies on the ground.

The dreams are always the same, the same people are in it, and the same crime is committed.

My mind pondered on the dream as I took a casual stroll in town. Usually I would ignore the dream, but there was one reason why my mind stayed on it, trying to process everything.

A poster in a store window caught my attention earlier in the day, in bright neon yellow colors the words read: 'Showing of Stand By Me tonight at seven o' clock!' Along on the poster was the location. The field.

I wanted for this nightmare to be over, I wanted to wake up and realize what I seen in the store window was just a part of a very vivid dream, but it wasn't happening.

Everyone went on with their day preparing for tonight while I walked around, holding in a dark secret. What was I to do? Should I go or stay at home where I'd be safe?

I looked around at everyone, the laughing children, busy parents, and rebellious teenagers. Their lives could be taken away tonight. If I didn't at least try to stop it, I would regret it for the rest of my life.

I glanced at the time on my watch, it was 6:45pm and I've made my decision. With an exasperated sigh, I made my way to the field, trying to think about anything but the dream.

"Hey Eliza!" A voice shouted out. I turned to see one of my friends, Eden from school walking towards me. "Woah, you look like you saw a deformed duckling."

"You make no sense." I chuckled, but tried my best to look not so concerned or aware of an impending doom. I admit, I sound a little over dramatic, but I just have a feeling that this dream I've had for the past few weeks was a warning sign for tonight.

It was my time to stop my dream from seeping into reality.

"I'm just saying you look a little worried, that's all. Did you rob a store or something?" She joked, giving me a scrutinizing look.

"I'm okay, just lost some sleep last night." I reassured her and she seemed fine with my answer.

"Eden, we found a spot over here." One of her friends rushed up to her, nearly out of breath. Eden waved goodbye before running off with her friend.

Taking off my flip flops, I walked across the grass. The smell of fresh grass soothed my worries until I found myself at the same exact spot where I sat in my dream. I plopped myself down and got ready for the movie to start.

Deja vu hit me like no tomorrow seeing everyone setting down their blankets across the field. Just like in my dream, the people sat in the same exact place. One person was missing, the little girl. Heck, that gave me relief. I was happy to see she wasn't here.

To think of it, I never saw that girl around town at all. Then again, I don't really look at everyone when going out.

I laid out on the grass, enjoying the feeling against my skin. Closing my eyes, I pretended I was somewhere else, something like a fantasy world. It made all the worries wither away until they were nonexistent.

The sound of someone's feet crunching against the grass snapped me out of my peaceful state of mind. I looked up to see a little girl walking passed me and to a spot ten feet in front of me. Same outfit, same girl, same spot, same everything.

She began to stare at the boy sitting near her. My heart raced knowing exactly what was going to happen next. It was like I was the chosen hero and here I was, having to make a difficult decision.

The girl looked so innocent and unsuspecting to be a cold-blooded, murderous beast. That's what made her the perfect killer.

The movie started and she stared hard at the boy, when she began to get up, my hands began to shake. Whether it was from being scared or an adrenaline rush, I wasn't sure.

Everyone stared at the little girl whose shadow was blocking the screen. The girl looked back at me, my heart came to a complete stop. I began to run at the little girl, knowing very well I had to stop her before innocent lives were taken away.

I tackled her to the ground then wrapped my arms around her puny neck and choked the life out of her. She scratched and began to fight back, bystanders tried to force me off of her, not knowing of the danger she was to everyone.

Her eyes turned lifeless, she stopped fighting back, and her body went limp.

Two men pulled me off of the dead girl and I let them. People all around me starting screaming, some were calling 911.

"What's wrong with you?!" A woman yelled at me, she was so close to me, but yet her voice seemed so distant. "How could you kill my little girl?" Tears fell from her face.

"She was getting up.." I paused, recalling everything that just happened. "She was going to kill everyone." It sounded absurd and ridiculous whenever the words came out of my mouth.

"She was getting up to walk to a spot I found for us." The mother's voice shook, her words turned into whimpers and pleas for her daughter to come back.

An innocent little girl. I took her life away. I took a look around at everyone who was standing around me, they looked disgusted, the look in the mother's eyes was the one to hurt me the most. She couldn't even hold herself up, she collapsed to the ground, holding her little girl tight.

When the prophecy in my dream told me to stop a monster, I didn't know that monster would be me.

----

Sorry for the long wait, writer's block found it's way to me, but I'm back. :)

Thanks for reading!

Love, Anna.