Marie

Marie

2014 © All Rights Reserved

Don't mess with Marie's sister.

Marie sat on her bed, dangling her feet just a couple of inches above the carpeted floor. No one was home and she wasn't sure when they'd show up. Her back fell against her blanket, the warmness shielding her from the cold world. She felt like she could stay in the moment forever, taking in the scent of the fabric softener her mother used on her blankets. As she wrapped herself more into the blanket, the harder it became to hear the sounds of someone entering her home.

Marie hadn't realized the sounds of sniffling until it passed by her bedroom door. She ripped the covers off of her, sitting up on her bed, straining to listen to what she heard. The sniffling became distant as the person walked further away from Marie's room.

"Alice?" She called out when she seen her sister walking down the hallway. Alice didn't turn around, just kept on walking quickly towards her bedroom then slammed the door shut. "Alice!" Marie ran down the hallway, hoping to get to the door before she locked it, but it was too late.

"I just want to be alone." Alice cried from in her room. She curled up in her bed, laying on her side. Tears slid off of her face, making her hair damp along with her covers.

"Come on Alice, open up. You can talk to me, I'm your sister." Marie's hand rested against her sister's door, listening to whatever sounds she could hear. "Please. Tell me what's wrong."

Through the wooden door, Marie could hear the springs in Alice's mattress move as she got up to unlock the door. The noise of the door unlocking was music to Marie's ears. Slowly, Alice opened up her door, debating whether it was a good idea or not. She turned away before her sister could see her, ashamed of how she looked.

"Look at me." Marie took a step into her sister's room.

Alice sighed and turned around. Marie's heart broke at the sight of the state she was in. Her hair was knotted with dirt and leaves tangled in her hair. A bruise started to form under her right eye. Scratches covered the left side of her cheek. Her arms and legs showing red marks and blood dripping down from her mouth. Dirt covered her clothes and with closer inspection, a symbol was burned into the side of her neck. The symbol was a backwards 'B' with a circle around it.

The horror and shock of what had happened to Alice subsided in Marie's heart and was now filled with an anger she didn't want to control.

"Who did this to you?" Marie asked through her clenched teeth. Her chest moved up and down with her fast breathing. She started to crack her knuckles then balled up her hands into fists.

Tears poured down Alice's face. "Brandi, Amelia, and Daniella." She plopped back down on her bed, her head looking at the ground. Marie turned away and started to walk out of the room until she was stopped by her sister. "Where are you going?" She asked.

Marie didn't turn around, just spoke while her back was to Alice. "I'm going out."

"I know you're gonna go to their house." Alice got up, running in front of Marie to stop her from walking any further.

"Then why'd you ask?" Marie attempted to maneuver her way around Alice, but failed when she blocked every move she made. "Seriously, move. They deserve whatever's coming to them." Annoyance in her tone, Marie leaned against the wall staring at her sister once again.

"You don't have to do anything. I'll be okay." Her soft voice calmed her, but not enough to wipe away the rage she felt inside.

She rested her hand on Alice's shoulder and she winced in pain at her touch. "Sorry." Marie lowered her hand away then took a moment to breathe. "You're not okay. Everything will be okay when I fix this."