Monster

Monster

2014 © All Rights Reserved

There's a monster in us all..

Daren busted through the door of his house, running to the couch where he saw his wife weeping. "Carmen? What's wrong? I got your call and it sounded like it was urgent." He caressed her face, wiping away the tears with his thumbs.

Between sobs, she could find her voice. "It's Lydia.."

Daren stood up, concern covering his face like a blanket. "What.. What about Lydia?" He bent down to Carmen's level, grabbing ahold of her arms so she couldn't hide her face.

She was forced to look him in the eyes as she explained. "Something's wrong with our daughter."

"What's wrong with her?" Patience was dwindling as he feared the worst. Carmen wasn't answering. He began to shake her. "Tell me what's wrong with my little girl."

Carmen stood up, taking her husband by the arm. She led him through the living room and to their daughter's bedroom. Daren walked in first before she could. His eyes landed upon his teenage daughter, her tangled wet hair fell just past her shoulders. Lydia sat completely still on the bed, staring off at nothing in particular. Cautiously, he walked towards her. With closer inspection, he could see a dried red substance on her neck. Daren waved his hands in front of his daughter to get her attention, but she sat still, her eyes not moving whatsoever. She was a statue.

"Is that blood on her neck?" Daren turned to his wife who had been standing in the frame of the doorway.

She nodded her head. "I think so." Carmen walked into the room, standing close to her husband. "I checked her, she doesn't have any wounds. Do you think she did something?"

A quietness filled the room as they thought to themselves.

"Let's not think too much about it, we'll only convince ourselves of the worst. There's probably a good explanation for this." Daren said pulling out his phone, swiping through his contacts until he found his brother's number.

"Our daughter isn't responding and there's possibly blood on her neck which isn't hers. What kind of reasonable explanation is there gonna be?" Daren ignored her, putting the phone up to his ear. "Who are you calling?"

He held his hand up to silence her, waiting for his brother to pick up. After a few rings, there was a voice. "I was just about to call you."

"I'm gonna need you to come over." Daren said with a serious tone.

"Everything okay?" He asked.

"Just get here, Felix." Daren said then hung up the phone.

"You called your brother? He's a cop! You might as well just put handcuffs on her and send her off to jail yourself." Anger grew in Carmen's voice.

"Relax." He grabbed her shoulders. "Everything will be fine, no one's going to jail. He's just going to help us figure out what to do." Daren calmed his wife's nerves.

"I just wish I could know what she was thinking about or what's going on in that brain of hers." Carmen looked at her daughter as if she lost her.

"Lets go in the living room and wait for Felix to show up." He suggested and she agreed. Carmen took one last look at their daughter before walking into the living room.

Screams echoed in Lydia's head, memories flooding into her brain like a tsunami. "Lydia!" The familiar voice screamed the same thing over and over again, her name. Her body didn't move as she felt a war of emotions flowing through her veins. Flashbacks and missing pieces started to put themselves together in her head until she saw the big picture, until she remember what had happened.