Watching

Watching

2013 © All Rights Reserved

Do you ever get the feeling someone's watching you?

Tyler gazed through the window, watching a family of three inside as they sat around a television watching Christmas movies and drinking hot cocoa. They looked happy. "Why can't I be happy?" He questioned. His breath hitting the window, causing fog to spread then fade away seconds later.

The sky was almost as black as it made it's transformations from cotton-candy pink to light blue to a navy blue.

The mother got up and Tyler hid behind the bushes. He had to stay hidden, not wanting to face the consequences of being caught yet.

"Do you want anymore hot chocolate?" The mother asked her husband.

"No thanks. I don't think my tongue can take anymore burns." He laughed, making it a point to stick his tongue out, showing red bumps from the hot beverage burning his tastebuds.

"Speak for yourself." The young boy got up from the floor, running up to his mother in the kitchen, jumping up and down with his mug in hand.

"Trevor, I think you've had enough." She placed a hand on her hip.

"Come on Debra, let the boy have one more." Her husband tried to persuade her.

Debra shook her head then turned back to the scorching water in the coffee pot and began pouring more into his cup. She took out of a packet of hot chocolate mix, dumping into the cup and mixed. "Go to your room and drink it."

"Thanks mom." He hugged her then passed through the living room to the hallway that led to his room. "Love you dad!" Trevor yelled from the hallway.

Debra listened, waiting for her to hear the sound of the door closing. "Why do you do that, Rick?"

Rick let out a groan and turned to face his wife as he sat on the couch. "Do what?"

"Let him get away with these things." She began to sound irritated.

"It was just hot chocolate."

"It's not just about hot chocolate. Everything I say, you go against. You make me out to be the bad parent and I'm tired of it!" She tried to keep her volume down, but the anger took over her voice.

"You're not a bad parent, I'm just a fun parent." He joked, but realizing soon enough it was a bad idea from the look his wife had on her face. She tapped her fingers on the counter, narrowing her eyes at him. Rick got up from the couch, collecting his wallet and keys from the coffee table. "Obviously, you need to calm down so I'm going to go take a drive. I'll be back whenever."

"No! You're staying here so we can talk." Her voice roared through the house. Rick ignored her and headed towards the front door. Anger flashed through her as she grabbed a kitchen knife and stepped in front of the door. "We're going to talk. Sit down." She spoke through gritted teeth. The knife pointed at him, only a few inches from piercing his skin. "Sit!" She yelled once more.

Trevor sat in his room, covering his ears from his parents yelling. He tried to find the tv remote to tune out their voices. To his luck, it was no where to be found.

"Where is it?" He let out a groan of frustration. Frustration of not finding what he needed and having to hear his mother's voice grow louder.

He gave up, sitting on his bed again, covering his ears to muffle the argument of his parents.

"Looking for this?" Tyler spoke from a corner of Trevor's room, holding a silver remote that belonged to Trevor's television.

Rick didn't flinch as she held the knife up to him, preventing him from leaving. "Crazy runs in the family, doesn't it?" Debra became speechless by his words. "Now move out of my way." He said in a stern voice, pushing her to the side to open the door and leave.