Haunted

Haunted

2014 © All Rights Reserved

She was haunted. By a voice and her impulsive decisions.

Melody stood in front of her mirror, staring into her eyes. She opened her mouth to speak, letting the hatred flow through her words. "They can't do this to me. They can't send me to some place hoping I'll get better. I can't let them do this to me. I won't let them do this to me." She stared deep into her reflection.

Her eyes grew dark with madness and she let insanity snake it's way into her mind.

"They'll pay." She smiled.

A knock came from the door, she didn't respond or say a word, just listened. Another knock came. The person on the other side expected her to say something, but she remained silent.

"Melody. You can't hide in there forever. It's going to happen whether you want it to or not." It was her older brother talking through the door.

She waited minutes until she suspected he left the other side of the door, leaving her to be by herself.

"He wouldn't understand. It's not happening to him. He's just an innocent bystander." She chuckled by her words. "Innocent.. Yeah right. If only they knew of the stuff he did then maybe they'd send him off somewhere too."

More knocks erupted against her door, making the wooden rectangle hanging on only by hinges, shake. Judging by the hard knocks, she assumed it was her father. "Get your ass out here right now, missy." And she was right.

She stared in the mirror, watching the reflection of the door in silence.

"If you don't come out right now, I'll bust this door off it's hinges and I swear to god I will make you regr-"

His voice still went shouting on in the background, but a new voice came to plague her mind.

Don't listen to him. He won't do anything. He's a coward just like the rest of them.

"Who are you?" Melody whispered, looking around the bathroom for a talking woman, but found nothing.

I'm you, silly.

She looked into the mirror, seeing her reflection waving at her with a child-like grin on her face.

"How.. How is this possible?" Melody asked, confused to why her reflection did things she wasn't doing.

Are you scared?

"No. I'm just confused." She shook her head.

You're different. You can see and hear things they can't. It makes you special. They're scared of you. That's why they are doing this to you.

"They don't seem scared to me." She mumbled, turning to look at the door wondering where her father went, but was slightly relieved. "If they were scared then maybe they'd leave me alone."

Scare them.

"How?" She stared at the girl in the mirror. It was her, but another part of her she couldn't quite grasp yet.

You know what to do.

"I do?" Melody asked herself, but the voice never replied. It had gone away. Thoughts and images flashed through her mind of all the things she could do. One popped out to her and she smiled. "I do." Even though she couldn't hear the voice anymore, she was sure that she was going to be proud of her.

Melody looked away from the mirror and turned to door to walk out of the bathroom. She opened it in enough time to see her mother standing with arms crossed and a curious look on her face.