Imagination

Imagination

2014 © All Rights Reserved

When Maria gets attacked, her family tries to convince her it's a part of her imagination. But what if it's not?

The hallway illuminated a bright white, a white that seemed almost blinding. She squinted her eyes until they adjusted. Her bare feet walked down the never ending hallway at a normal pace. The ground was cold, freezing the bottom of her feet with each step. Maria's dark hair swayed as she walked. The long corridor's silence was pierced by the sound of footsteps.

She never looked back, just walked and listened to the people who were behind her.

An uneasy feeling never entered her mind, it filled with a calmness.

Her pace slowed down, not from her own will, but because her feet wouldn't let her walk any faster. Frustration coursed through her head each time trying to walk faster, but no matter mad or angry she got, the pace never progressed, it only seemed to get slower.

The footsteps became louder. The increase of sound made her drop to the ground, squeezing the palms of her hands over her ears hoping it would muffle the noise. It didn't.

"Stop!" She cried, rocking back and forth but never peaking her head up to see the people who stood near her.

The noise ceased and she stopped whimpering. First Maria removed her hands from her ears, looking around. No one was in view of her view. A piercing, ringing shot through her ears, causing her to place her hands over them again.

A warm liquid dripped down her hands and arms, she pulled her hands away from her ears instinctively.

Her eyes widened at the sight before her. Blood covered both of her hands and arms. Maria checked for any cuts only to find none. She wiped one of her hands on her gown and reached up to touch her ear. A gooey texture covered her index finger then she yanked it away and brought her finger into view. The blood came from her ears.

"Please make it stop." She cried out to no one in particular.

As you please. A distorted voice spoke, echoing in her head.

"Who's there?" She snapped her head up, looking for the source. Her eyes focused on the ground, the blood that was once there was gone. "Why are you doing this?"

Then the footsteps started again. She looked to see a group of people at the end of the hallway, making their way towards her. Their faces were as white as the walls.

Fear struck Maria in the heart. She got to her feet and tried to run, only to her dismay, her feet would walk in a slower pace than before.

When the footsteps sounded as if they were right behind her, she looked back, staring into their beady eyes. They didn't look human, she didn't know what to call them.

"What.. What are you?" She whispered, the fear now beginning to intensify in her.

Without a word, all four of them grabbed onto her, dragging her back down the hallway.

Maria kicked in their direction, hitting some, but fazing none. She pulled her arms away from them, but their hands remained gripped around her wrists, she could feel their claw-like fingers digging into her wrists every time she tried to pull away.

Droplets of blood fell to the floor and Maria watched as the liquid from her wrist made a trail.

They busted open a door, pushing Maria into the dark room. Nothing in her body would let her make a run for the door. They closed the door, any specks of light now gone. Maria was left into a room of darkness with unknown enemies.