Missing

Missing

2014 © All Rights Reserved

Everything in the small town seemed normal until the night a young girl went missing.

Ellie, Janice and Ivy sat at a park bench. No children played on the monkey bars or swung on the swings in the depressing, pathetic excuse of a park. The colors of the park equipment faded, looking almost drained of color. A few of the steps leading up to the top of the castle had been broken, hanging on by a single nail while others were snapped in half. The view of the horrid park kept away children and became a frequent hangout spot for the three friends. Janice sat on one side of the bench while Ivy sat on the other side. Ellie sprawled out across the table, looking up at the dark clouds, sure to bring rain.

"I dare you to climb to the top." Janice pointed over to the park while staring at her friend, Ellie.

Ivy groaned out loud while running her fingers through her hair, "Don't tell me this is going to be another of one you two's competitions to see who's better."

"There's no competition. We all know I'm the better one. Janice is just too stubborn to admit it." Ellie laughed while an annoyed expression grew on Janice's face.

"You're such a bitch, El." Janice crossed her arms over her chest, looking away from the both of them. Her once pale face grew red with anger while Ellie's face remained content.

"Am I really being a bitch if I'm telling the truth?" Ellie asked, poking Janice's shoulder with her foot. Janice smacked her foot away. A giggle came from Ellie's lips, clearly entertained from the anger her friend started to show. "Who needs television when my favorite pass time is pissing you off?"

Janice slammed her fist on the table and walked away to the playground, staring off at nothing in particular, leaving Ellie and Ivy behind.

"Stop it." Ivy cut in.

"It's not my fault that she has anger issues." She pushed it off as if it was nothing important.

"You're not suppose to treat your friends like that."

Ellie chuckled, "Oh, please don't lecture me. You're not my therapist. A good friend tells you the truth without worrying about sparing your feelings because a good friend would understand. Besides, she should know that I'm mostly joking. I'm trying to teach her to grow a sense of humor. She's too serious all of the time, no one likes people like that." She hopped off of the table and began to walk away before she stopped in her tracks, taking a look back at Ivy. "I don't think you're in any place to judge."

A look of confusion grew on Ivy's face. "Huh?" Her eyes narrowed as she began to fidget with her fingers.

"Don't play coy with me." Ellie stepped closer to her, her face not giving off any emotions. The intimidating look she gave made Ivy shift uncomfortably on the bench.

"Ellie, stop with your bullshit and tell me what this is all about." Ivy snapped, furious with her inability to tell her what she meant.

A grin grew on Ellie's face. "Your anger pleases me. I guess you two are a lot alike with your anger problems." She looked back at Janice who paced back and forth near the playground, calming herself down.

Ivy tried to calm her irritated features but ultimately failed. "Ellie. I'm warning you."

"Oh, you're no fun." Her cool, composed voice only made the blood boil inside of Ivy. Ellie leaned in close to Ivy to where Ellie's mouth was inches away from Ivy's ear. "Would a good friend flirt with her best friend's crush?" She backed away, enjoying the look of shock on Ivy's face.