Stuck

Stuck (Part Two to Stalked)

2014 © All Rights Reserved

Jane and Belle are stuck in the clutches of their kidnapper, what will they do now?

"So what do you do for a living?" The man, Abel asked as he sat across from Jane. The two had a private table in Jane's favorite restaurant, talking amongst themselves and about their daily lives.

Jane took a bite of her steak before answering him. "I work at a diner down the street from here, actually."

"We should've ate there if it's just down the road." He wiped the steak sauce that dripped down the corner of his mouth.

"I'd rather not mix my personal life with my business life." She realized how harsh her words might've come out. "I mean, there's nothing wrong with you, but the people at my work are already as nosey as they can be. If they saw me with a guy, they'd get all crazy about it, bombarding me with questions about who you are."

He shook his head in understanding. "I wouldn't mind it." His smile was contagious and she smiled back.

"I couldn't do that to you. It's only our first date anyways." Jane dug into the peas, enjoying as they smushed so easily in her mouth.

"Hopefully not our last." It was the last thing he said as the both of them finished their meals. The silence wasn't weird, but comforting. She didn't feel the need to force a conversation and he seemed to think the same way. "Dessert?" He asked, taking a look at the desserts menu placed neatly on their table.

"Sure." She agreed, even though her stomach already felt tight and full. She took a look at the plastic menu, her mouth watering at the sight of all the delicious foods. "I'm liking the look of the strawberry cheesecake. My stomach says no, but my head says yes."

When the waiter came back to their table, Abel ordered strawberry cheesecake for the both of them and waited for their food to arrive. "Do you have any kids?" The question caught Jane by surprise.

"One kid, actually." She was hesitant at first to bring up any kids just yet. "Do you have any?"

"No." He shook his head. "What's your kid's name?"

"Uh, her name is Belle." She didn't look at him as she answered the question, but at everything around them including the staff of the restaurant and people chatting with whoever they came with.

"How old is Belle?" He continued on with the conversation.

"Six. She's about to turn seven." She twirled the straw in her drink before taking a huge sip to avoid the conversation. She didn't know why speaking of her daughter made her uneasy, but it did.

"What happened to the dad?"

The memory of him stung. "He's not around, he left when Belle just turned one. Not to be rude, but can we speak of something else?"

"Sure." He respected her wishes. "What's your favorite color?"

She smiled at the fact that he didn't take offense to her words. "Green. And yours?"

"Green is my favorite color too." He smirked.

When ten minutes passed and still their food hadn't arrived, Abel tapped his finger on the table impatiently. He let out a sigh of annoyance and watched as their waiter was taking care of new people who just arrived.

"You okay?" Jane's hand touched his.

He looked at her hand that was touching his for a few moments then looked up at her. "Yeah, I'm okay."