Lockdown

Lockdown

2014 © All Rights Reserved

When Tara agrees to go to a lockdown at the school, she doesn't expect anything exciting. But when weird things start to happen, she must expect the worst.

"Remember students, the dance lockdown starts tonight at eight o' clock." Principal Shepherd announced over the intercom to the students of Wilken High. "No foolishness is allowed. If you're caught doing something you aren't suppose to, we will call your parents and escort you off the premises immediately." His voice was full of authority and demand.

Rose turned to her friend Tara to whisper. "What's the point of this whole dance and lockdown thing?"

Tara shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not sure I even want to go." She confessed.

Rose's mouth gaped. "You have to!" She exclaimed. The classroom full of students stopped what they were doing to look over at the pair of friends. Rose then began to use her inside voice again. "You have to. Ted is going to be there and so is Jacob." Rose poked Tara's side with a smile on her face.

"So what if Jacob is there?" She tried to act as if it were nothing important.

Rose narrowed her eyes at her friend. "Every time you guys are around each other it's like a flirting contest to see who can flirt the most."

Tara gave Rose a weird, scrunched up look. "We don't flirt that much."

"You're such a bad liar." Rose turned around fully in her chair to talk to Tara.

"Rose Saunt!" Their math teacher, Ms. Daily yelled across the room. Her eyes peered over her thick glasses staring at Rose and Tara. "Turn around and do your work or else you will be banished from lockdown." She threatened her. It was enough for Rose to hear before she quickly turned back around and pretended to do her work, secretly writing Tara a note.

She tossed it over to Tara's desk when her teacher wasn't looking. Tara took the note carefully, opening it slowly to not attract any attention, especially from their teacher. As soon at the paper was folded out across her desk, she read what it said. So do you want me to tell Jacob to not look forward to seeing you tonight?

Tara bent her head back, running her fingers through her hair. She took a minute to think of her response before she put her thoughts into words. If I decide to go, will you agree not to bug me for the rest of the day until lockdown?

She tossed the folded up piece of paper and watched her friend open it up while watching Ms. Daily. Rose wasted no time when replying, she sent the paper flying over to Tara's desk. Tara banged her hand on her wooden desk when stopping the paper from landing somewhere further away from her desk.

Ms. Daily along with other curious students focused their attention on Tara. "Ms. Hatly, is there something you would like to share with the rest of the class?"

"No." Tara declined quietly while lowering her head, keeping away from any awkward eye contact.

"Sounds like you're practicing your drum solo." She sneered.

Tara could feel the heat rise to her cheeks out of the embarrassment she felt.

"We're starting a band together. Would you like to join? We're in need for an annoying teacher in our band." Rose spoke up, having a stare down with Ms. Daily.

"That's it, Rose! If you do not shut your trap, I will be sure to take the lockdown away from you." She used the same old threat again thinking it would put her in her place.

But Rose kept on talking. "I don't like the way you talked to my friend. You got a stick up your ass or something?"

The classroom burst into fits of laughter after Rose's comment. Ms. Daily's face turned red as she slammed her fist on her desk. "No lock-" She was interrupted by the sound of the bell.