Late Night Pick-Up

Late Night Pick-Up

2012 © All Rights Reserved

Be careful of who you trust. People aren't who they make themselves out to be.

Night was settling in as the trees became shadows in the darkness and silence consumed the streets. Darlene drove down the usual paths on her way home from work, humming to the tune on the radio.

The bags under her eyes seemed to droop more and more as time passed by, but she still kept her eyes focused on the road. No one seemed to be on the roads tonight except for her, it was a little odd, but yet normal in a way.

None of the light posts were shining- except for one. She paid no mind to the situation, thinking it was just electrical wiring that was bad. As Darlene got closer to the bright yellowish light, a figure appeared to be under it, holding their knees to their chest. Darlene slowed down to get a close look at the person to discover it was a little girl. She had to be at least ten years old. The girl poked her head up from her knees and stared straight at Darlene, pain showing in her eyes.

Darlene didn't speed off away from the girl, nor did she talk to her. All she did was look at her, trying to figure the little girl out. Why was she out here and why did she look so sad?

After seconds, maybe minutes of them just looking into each other's eyes, Darlene rolled down the window to engage in conversation.

"What are you doing out here?" Darlene asked the girl finally.

The girl looked at Darlene, debating within her mind if she should speak or forever hold in her words.

"I'm lost." the girl said, making her mind that it was okay to talk to Darlene.

"Get in, I'll take you home." Darlene unlocked the door to her car and opened it up for the girl whose name she did not know yet.

Without any hesitation, she plopped right into Darlene's car. With a closer inspection of the girl, the woman saw that she had burns all over her face and arms. Burns that looked like she had been hurt in a fire or something of that sort. She tried not to stare, but it made her more interested to know more about the little girl.

"What's your name? Mine is Darlene." the woman smiled sweetly at the girl, trying to get her to open up.

The young girl stared straight ahead at the road, looking emotionless. "Emma." she didn't look at the woman as she said it, but Darlene could feel the girl watching her. Something was off about Emma. But she couldn't put her finger on what it was.

"Well Emma, we're gonna go to my house and eat real quick before I take you home. Okay?" Emma peeked over at the woman just for a few seconds before looking back at the road.

Emma nodded, not speaking a word for a little bit.

The suffocating silence seemed to be too much for Darlene because she spoke again, seeming as if she wanted nothing more than to get rid of the dreadful silence. "So.. Have any brothers or sisters?" it seemed to be a good question.

"Not anymore." Emma said in a monotone kind of way. The way she said it sent chills down Darlene's spine and she shifted uncomfortably. Kids don't normally make her feel weird and in danger, but this one did.

"What do you mean.." Darlene swallowed the lump in her throat. Was Emma a psycho who might of possibly killed her siblings? "not anymore?" she finished her sentence, waiting for the girl to answer.

Darlene gained speed, trying to get home as soon as possible. She didn't know who Emma was or what she was capable of doing and it worried her a little.