Early Bird Gets The Worm

2013 © All Rights Reserved

After an argument with his girlfriend, Brandon decides to take a little time out of the house, unknown to the danger that awaits him.

The car had already been off and parked in the driveway for a few minutes before he decided to get out and walk towards the house. He dragged himself from the car, up the stone path walkway. Reaching in his pocket, he fumbled around to find the keys to the front door. After seconds of feeling around, he found it and unlocked the door. The door slid open across the emerald-colored carpet to see his girlfriend, Lynn standing a few feet from the door.

"Look who's finally dragging himself home at.." She paused to look down at the clock on her phone. "2:56 in the morning. You haven't returned my calls." She stood with her arms crossed and face twisted into a furious expression.

"Babe. You know I have to take extra shifts to afford the baby." Brandon took a second to look down at his girlfriend's belly. She was just barely showing. It had been five months already, he thought the belly would of popped more, but just the little bump warmed his heart knowing his child would be born in about four months.

Lynn tapped her foot against the carpet. "Why didn't you answer my calls?"

"If I answered my phone calls at work, I'd be fired on the spot. We can't afford for me to lose my job." He kept his voice at a monotone.

"Let me see your phone." She reached out her palm, waiting for him to place his phone into her hand. Brandon sighed, reaching into his pocket then gently putting it into her hand. She went through his phone, pulling up his call list then showing it to him. "What does this look like?"

"Like my girlfriend shoving a phone in my face." He joked. "I'm kidding. It's just a bunch of a calls you flooded my phone with."

"Yes!" She shouted. "Calls you didn't answer."

He reached for his phone to which she pulled away. "Sorry, I'll answer next time." He tried again to only fail.

"Why do you want your phone so bad?" She taunted him with his phone, moving it in front of his face then pulling it away.

"You know what? Keep it." He gave up, walking into the kitchen to get a drink.

"You sure you don't want me to see things on here." Lynn followed him into the kitchen with his phone. "Or have you already deleted those already?"

Brandon looked at her, shocked. "What in the hell are you going on about?"

"Danielle told me you were cheating on me with some hussy down at the bar." She blurted out, leaving Brandon with his mouth ajar and eyes wide.

"Danielle is snooty little bitch who has nothing to do with her life except to ruin relationships." He explained calmly. "Plus, she hasn't liked me after my buddy, Pete dumped her. Get this, she has a theory that I told him all this horrible shit about her that she states it's a lie, which is complete bullshit. He dumped her because all she wanted to do is talk about what their life and marriage would be like.. On their first date!" He gossiped to his girlfriend, assuring her there was nothing to worry about.

Lynn stayed quiet, looking away from her boyfriend and at the floor. With uncertainty in her eyes, she looked back up at Brandon. "She sent me pictures of you and the slut." Lynn held up her phone to his face. The brightness caught him off guard, causing him to squint and back away. Then he focused his eyes on the picture displayed on her phone. It was a picture of him, sitting on a bar stool next to a brunette woman, laughing. "Would you like to explain this?"