Island

Island

2014 © All Rights Reserved

When a few friends discover an island on their boating trip, they decide to stay the night.

"Make sure you have everything you need." Jamie reminded both of his friends, Jessica and Evan.

Evan grabbed his bag and slung it over his back. "I'm about as ready as that little sponge my sister watches, but I'm afraid this one over here may not be." He pointed over to Jessica who was currently shoving things into her bag such as snacks and makeup.

"What?" She looked over at the both of them. "I need to make sure I'm prepared for anything. What if we meet a cute guy or mermaid man out in the waters?"

"I think you mean merman." Evan corrected her.

"She has a point. What if we do meet someone cute out there?" Jamie joined into the conversation.

"First of all, calm your hormones. Second, if we met a merman out in the water, I doubt he'd want to date either of you." Evan fidgeted with the strap of his backpack.

"And why not?" Jamie asked, seeming offended. Jessica looked at Evan with eyes full of questions.

He laughed. "You two aren't really his species."

"He can bite me and we will be mermans together." Jamie said with a wide grin, looking out the window of his house. Off in the distance he could see the dark blue waters to where they were soon to be traveling in. "I think I'd be a sexy merman. I'd give anything to live out in the water."

"I don't think it works that way. It's a merman, not a vampire." Evan input.

Jamie huffed. "Why do you have to try and ruin everything?" He paused for a moment to grab his bag. "Besides, vampires don't exist."

Evan chuckled, "Says the guy who believes in mermaids." He muttered under his breath.

Before Jamie could retort, Jessica interjected, bringing herself into the conversation once again, "I'm ready. We should get going." With her stuff in a bag slung over her shoulder like Evan, she began to head towards the front door. All three friends headed out of the house. "Why is it every time I walk out of the house, I get a major headache?" She asked no one in particular.

"Because you don't get outside enough." Evan shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe if you got off the internet and did something productive outside, you wouldn't get that feeling."

"No need to be a douche, Evan." Jamie snapped at him. "This is suppose to be a good day."

"Yeah." Jessica glanced over at Jamie then Evan. "This is going to be a great day. Beautiful waters and friends together, what could be better?"

They walked through the sand of the beach to reach the dock where their boat had been waiting for them. It wasn't small or enormous, but big enough for a few friends to hang out comfortably. The smell of salt water invaded their senses, sand already taking home in their sandals, and a beach breeze running through their hair. It relaxed any tension prior to stepping on the beach. They headed up the stairs of the dock and walked towards their boat. Le Cœur de la Mer was printed on the side in huge, italicized navy blue letters.

Evan tilted his head at the words. He opened his mouth to speak, "Le co-" He tried to pronounce the words until he was interrupted.

"The heart of the sea." Jessica told Evan. "I'm a fan of Titanic and the French language." She explained, stepping onto the boat.

"Wait, so you're telling me you're a fan of the movie Titanic and you expect me to get on a boat with you?" Evan asked with skepticism.

"I'm not going to sink my own boat, you moron." Jessica rubbed the side the boat. "She's my baby."