Stowan High

Stowan High

2015 © All Rights Reserved

It's the year of 1995 and four teachers must do whatever it takes to save their jobs, no matter what the cost.

"Do you know what it's going to be about?" Rebecca asked Jay, the science teacher who worked directly across from her Art classroom. Her black heels clicked against the tiled flooring, echoing through the hallway while her brunette hair swayed back and forth against her back.

Jay shrugged his shoulders, turning one of the corners, "I'm not sure." He rubbed his hand against his bald head.

"It has to important for them to suddenly call a meeting before planning a week in advance, it just isn't like them to schedule a last minute thing like this." She spoke while her mind went crazy with thoughts of what the meeting could have been about. "Do you think there's going to budget cuts?"

Before Jay could have time to answer, Willard, the woodshop teacher came up next to the other two staff members with questions of his own, "What about budget cuts?" His eyes seemed bigger than they really were due to his bulky glasses.

"Ms. Paranoia over here thinks there's going to be budget cuts mentioned at the meeting." Jay answered him.

"It's Mrs. Paranoia to you, sir." She smiled at him. "But come on, you can't think it's going to be something good talked about at an emergency scheduled meeting."

"I'm just saying that you're jumping to conclusions when you don't know the full story yet."

Willard cleared his throat before chiming into the conversation, "But she could be right."

"Oh my lord," Jay rubbed his right hand against his face, "not you too. Don't tell me you're getting all crazy about this right now."

Willard held up his hands in defense, "I mean, think about it. It's a possibility. I'm not saying the world is ending or anything like that. That's crazy. I'm just merely cautious about this meeting. I'm not going in there with high hopes of something positive being said. Low expectations means lesser chance of being disappointed."

"Y'all can fill each others paranoia, but I'm going to go in there with no expectations." Jay said.

"What if it's a scandal?" Selena, the algebra teacher input into the conversation as she walked side by side with Rebecca. She pushed a stray black hair behind her ear, removing it from her line of vision.

"Okay, now that's a little out there." Rebecca narrowed her eyes.

"What kind of scandal?" Jay asked, seeming intrigued by the idea.

"Come on," Rebecca scoffed, "You'll be more willing to believe in a scandal going around the school than you would believe in the idea of budget cuts. Something's wrong with you." She teased him, poking him in the side of his torso.

"I think it's best for you to not question me and my odd liking of juicy gossip." Jay laughed. "So what kind of scandal do you think this school would have?" His attention went back to Selena as the four of them walked down the hallway together.

Selena's lips pursed to the side, "Hm," she paused for a moment to think on his question. "maybe one of the teachers got caught having an inappropriate relationship with a student. You see the news, sometimes teachers get accused of these things."

"That makes sense." Willard agreed, "Who do you think the teacher would be?"

"You." Rebecca, Jay and Selena said in unison, looking at Willard.

"So is there something you need to tell us?" Jay chuckled.

"Woah, what? Why me?" Willard stopped walking, taking a look at three of his friends. "I mean I know I'm irresistible and good looking."