Pills

Pills

2015 © All Rights Reserved

Marcus is given a pill, but what it does to him, he doesn't expect.

He stood outside his door, frustration shooting through every inch of his body and mind. Thoughts bounced rapid from I'm fucked to What am I going to do? He remembered the same nostalgic feeling from when he was in grade school, getting in trouble for the first time. But this was much more serious than just a few day suspension.

His dark eyes stared at the red paper. In big, bold black letters, it spelt out the words EVICTION NOTICE. The two words made his heart sink into his stomach. The words ate at his brain. This was the first time he missed a payment and he called his landlord, telling her that he'd be a little late on rent. His hand, shaking with panic, grabbed at the paper taped onto his apartment door and ripped it off, leaving a small bottom portion of the paper still taped onto the cream-colored door.

With close inspection, his eyes read the other words printed onto the sheet of paper. A breath was caught in his throat as he took in every word.

If a payment of $950.00 isn't paid by July 5th, you will have two days to pack your things and move from the premises.

-Shana

He had five dollars to his name and no close relatives willing to help him ever since he left to a new state. He was too prideful to ask for help. It wasn't in his personality to go beg for money, he would rather be homeless.

Marcus's eyes filled with tears. For the first time in a long time, he felt fear. Fear of not knowing where he will end up or find a way to earn the money in enough time. It was June 30th. Through his blurred vision, his eyes caught sight of something. The bottom portion of the note left, still taped onto his door. He blinked away the salty liquid and gazed at the words until they registered into his mind.

It was a personalized messaged, handwritten from his landlord in black sharpie. He could smell of the fumes of the permanent marker just a foot away from him. It read: No sob story will get you out of this eviction if you don't provide me with the money, Mr. Gallardo.

Marcus observed the messaged, wondering if she ever wrote personalized messages to everyone, but quickly ignored it and walked inside of his house, grabbing the newspaper that always was delivered to his house everyday. It was a different feeling, walking into his home knowing in just a few short days, it could be gone and taken away from him, leaving him to the streets.

The apartment was in a suffocating silence. His mind ran crazy with thoughts of negativity he couldn't control. The thoughts all came back around, surrounding one question. "What am I going to do?" He questioned out loud to himself, hoping a miracle would happen, just like in the movies.

But this wasn't a movie. He wasn't an actor that was paid to have to pretend to be going through a life crisis, just for his problem to be fixed by the end of his story. He wasn't sure it was all going to be alright.

Feeling lost and hopeless in the moment, he decided to try and distract his mind. His eyes looked at the newspaper in his hand. As Marcus took a seat on his couch, he mind tried to focus on the words in print. But they just seemed like simple words, none caught his attention, his mind wasn't in reality, drifting back off into the bad thinking.

Just before he lost himself in the drowning thoughts, two words stuck out to him. Quick Money! it read. His curious mind chose to read on. If you're in desperate need of cash or just love money, then this ad is for you! Come be a part of a three day experiment and receive as much as $3,000. For more details, call 1-800-DILPLEX.