Resurrection

Resurrection

2015 © All Rights Reserved

There's a legend for a way to bring back the dead, but will Carmen be able to achieve the task?

Silence engulfed Carmen's head, she was surprisingly calm when any other persons mind would be scrambled and all over the place, making sure they had exactly what they needed. Even as a baby according to her mother, she was an apathetic child, not a single tear would shed from her eyes or a genuine smile would ever come to surface on her lips. In her middle school, she would try to mimic the smiles she always seen on most peoples' faces, but the concept felt too foreign and awkward for her to attempt to again. Nonetheless, Carmen's mother loved and accepted her either way.

"Mom?" Carmen called down the hallway to her mother. She didn't expect for her to respond and when answered with the quietness she expected, she walked down the hallway to her mother's room. Getting closer, the sound of a machine whirring occupied the small room her mother spent most of her time, "Um, mom?" She knocked. The door slid open across the white carpet.

Her mother, Jessie perked her head up from the sewing machine as her fingers continued to push the fabric under the the needle quickly pushing into what her daughter assumed was going to be a dress. Carmen stood there stunned, unsure how her mother could continuing sewing without looking at it and not hurt herself.

"Did you need something?" Jessie asked, taking her eyes away from her daughter for a moment to stop the machine.

Carmen pulled her attention away from the machine sitting on a wooden table. She focused on her mom and remember what she came in the room for, "Where did you put the extra Halloween decorations?"

Jessie's nose scrunched as she thought on the question, "Oh yes, they're in the garage next to your birdhouse. I believe that's where I put it." She said with an uncertain tone.

"I'll check." Carmen turned with her back to her mother, ready to make her way to the exit.

"Carmen?" Her mother called out, which she could tell was coming. Her head turned to the side to look slightly towards her, "What do you need the rest of the decorations for?" She looked at the strap on her daughter's shoulder, "And what's with the backpack?"

Without missing a beat she responded with, "My friend doesn't have much decorations and I told her we had some extra. The backpack is so I can transport it over to her house without having to hold it. My friend has a weird thing for only wanting to decorate on the day of the holiday." With an expression filled with innocence, Carmen knew with the look she gave her, she would be able to manipulate her way out of the room without anymore questions. "That isn't a problem, is it?"

"That's fine." Her mother said with a warm smile.

Carmen turned back around and walked out of the room with another destination in mind. The garage. Walking in, a pungent smell entered her nostrils. She held her shirt sleeve to her nose, attempting to block out the strong scent. She headed for the birdhouse she never finished but vowed to ever since eighth grade. Next to the halfway assembled birdhouse was a blue container with faded words written in marker spelling out Halloween Decorations.

She picked up the box with ease and placed it on top of a counter with tools scattered all around it. Opening it, she could see small decorations varying from skulls twice the size of her fist to streamers with ghosts hanging from them. She grabbed as many things she could from the container to shove in her backpack.

The rusty hinges on the old door squealed as it opened, making Carmen cringe at the noise. "Do you need a ride to your friend's house?" Her mother stood in the opening of the doorway, arms crossed as she leaned to the side, resting against the door frame.