Full Moon

Full Moon

2014 © All Rights Reserved

Eleven year old, Wyatt is always told the crazies come out on a full moon, but he never believes them. Will one night change his mind?

"Hey mom!" Wyatt said in a voice too cheerful.

His mother looked at him with a suspicious look, eyeing him up and down. When she was done trying to guess what he wanted, she spoke up, "No."

"You don't even know what I want to ask!" He whined.

"Aha! So you were going to ask something." She stopped chopping up vegetables to focus on her son. "What is it?"

"Well.." He fidgeted with his fingers, looking down at his feet. "I was wondering." His body began to sway back and forth as he procrastinated on asking what he wanted.

"Spill it." Her patience wore down the longer he dragged it out.

"Can I go stay at Zach's house?" Wyatt blurted out.

His mother shook her head, turning back to the vegetables, chopping them into smaller pieces. "No."

"Why not?" His mouth formed into a pouting expression.

"You know I don't like that boy." Her chopping became more aggressive. "He's rude and whenever you're around him, you're influenced to do bad things also."

"No I'm not!" He yelled. His mother gave him a stern look. "I'm sorry. But he's not a bad person, he just does things that make him look bad.." His voice trailed off. "I promise we'll be good tonight."

She washed the knife off in the sink then placed it in a drawer. Her eyes closed as she sighed. Wyatt stood there eagerly waiting for his mother's answer.

As she looked at him, she answered. "Fine, but-"

She was cut off by Wyatt getting excited and thanking her. "Thank you, you're the best mom ever! We'll be on our best behav-"

"Let me finish." She interrupted his moment of exhilaration. "You have to answer the phone when I call you."

"But I don't have a phone." He looked confused.

She pulled out her cell phone, holding it out for her son to grab. "Here. I'll call you from the house phone. And just because I'm letting you use my phone does not mean you can go texting your friends and racking up my phone bill."

"I won't. I promise." He snatched the phone from her hand and placed it safely in his pocket.

"Wyatt." She called out to him before he could go to his room to pack a bag. He turned around. "If you guys go outside, don't stay out too late. It's a full moon tonight."

"Yeah, yeah. I've heard this a million times. The crazy people come out on a full moon." He waved it off and ran upstairs, packed a bag and headed out. "Bye mom!" He yelled before he closed the front door behind him.

Outside waiting for him was his friend, Zach also with a backpack.

"It worked?" He looked surprised, but relieved.

"Yep. My mom thinks I'm staying at your house." Wyatt nodded his head.

"And my mom thinks I'm staying at your house." Zach smiled and they both hopped on their bikes, riding down the road towards the carnival. "Tonight is going to be so fun!" Zach yelled to Wyatt.

"What if we get caught?" Wyatt hollered.

Zach rode in front as they rode along the sidewalk. He looked back for a split second at his friend. "We won't get caught."