Run And Hide

Run and Hide

2013 © All Rights Reserved

The Skillmen brothers run into a girl while playing Hide and Seek. She wants to join them, only with a different game in mind.

"Dude, come on!" Andy yelled at his eleven year old brother, Travis who seemed to be throwing a tantrum. "I won fair and square so it's your turn." Andy crossed his arms across his chest, waiting for his brother to stop throwing a fit and play the game.

"Why do you boss me around?" He whined, his lips in pouting form.

"Because I'm older." He stated with a strong stance. It was clear that he wasn't giving up.

"Only by a year and three months." Travis retorted, his head held high as if he defeated his older brother. Andy narrowed his eyes at his brother with a death stare. Travis stood there, giving the same look back. Seconds later, Travis dropped his glance. "This game is stupid with two people anyways." He mumbled under his breath, barely audible for Andy to hear.

Andy dropped his head, sighing with annoyance. His brother never liked any of the games if he had to be it first. He looked around, taking in the scenery for their game of Hide and Seek. A huge field full of construction machines and holes that always seemed to be abandoned, the boys never saw workers out on the construction site. Nearby was a forest. The forest was off limits as told by their parents, the boys never knew why they had such strict restrictions against going into the forest, but they decided to stop questioning it after years of responses like "Because I said so" or "It's not safe for young kids". Rumors would fly around the town about it being haunted by a serial killer, thus it being named by the kids of the town, Devil's Trail. No one dared to take a step in there.

Andy shuddered, looking at the forest. He turned back to his brother who also stared deep into forest with a thousand yard stare.

"Hey." Andy said to his brother, tapping his shoulder to get his attention. "I'll be it this round. Just this once I'll let you get away with this." Travis snapped his eyes back to his brother with a wide grin. "This is base." Andy pointed towards the crane that sat near a hole.

Travis nodded then took off, trying to find a hiding spot as Andy counted to twenty, resting his head on the crane and squeezing his eyes tightly.

Nine.. Ten..

He counted in his head, listening to any noises that could indicate where his brother was hiding. The sound of someone running, became more clear by the second as if they were getting closer. "You know the point of Hide and Seek is to not get caught by being so obvious." Andy yelled out, eyes still closed and continuing to count in his head.

Fourteen.. Fifteen..

A breeze blew past him, making goosebumps rise on his arms and legs.

Sixteen.. Seventeen..

An arm brushed against his. The arm was cold, like the Antarctic, making Andy shiver. "Seriously, Travis. Go find a place to hide, I'm almost done counting." Andy started to get irritated, but continued to count.

Eighteen.. Nineteen.. Twenty

"Find me." A girlish voice whispered in his ear as his counted to the last number. He whipped his body around to see no one. With hairs on the back of his neck standing up, he cautiously looked around. No one was to be seen.

Andy brushed it off then started to look for his younger brother while still having an odd feeling that bubbled in his stomach.

He checked around the crane and in it to see if his brother happened to be hiding near him. After discovering he hadn't been anywhere near it, he moved onto a different machine. After looking under and over things, he began to get nervous. "Travis.." He called out. Andy began looking in one of the holes. "Nope." He said as he peered in to see it was empty.