Outbreak

Outbreak (Part Two to Lockdown)

2014 © All Rights Reserved

The hardships of a drag queen who is out of breaks and on the fabulous clock 24/7.

Haha just kidding. Could you imagine? Drag queens are fabulous, someone make this story please. I'll love you forever.

Real description time now:

The side of the story from Tara's mom, Caroline as she witnesses the outbreak at the hospital and tries to fight her way out of it.

The idea to write it from the mom's point of view was suggested by @ArtyMacParty :)

Caroline had just dropped her daughter off at the school for the lockdown and was now heading to her other pride and joy, work. Most nurses and doctors she eavesdropped on had constantly complained about the long hours and having to work there all the time with barely any free time to themselves. That's the real world. Caroline wanted to tell them. She had taken pride in her job, helping others and shown up to her work everyday with the same smile. It never faltered.

But something about today felt different. A part of her didn't want her daughter to go to the school dance, she kind of wanted to stay home, call into work sick and watch movies all night with her daughter.

But this was her life, she had to provide for her daughter and herself. The hospital was located just around the corner of Tara's school. The town was so small, houses and buildings were always so close to each other.

She seen a person in a hospital outfit running down the road. Her eyes squinted at the man, but decided it was best to just keep driving. It wasn't her patient, therefore it wasn't her problem. The window to her car was rolled down and could make out what he was yelling, "Early bird gets the worm!" Without another thought on the man, she drove away from him.

Caroline arrived at the hospital in the parking garage then took the elevator from the parking garage up to the hospital floor where she usually works. Floor 5.

The elevator shook slightly, lights above her flickering. It slowly brought her up to the floor where she needed to be and the elevator abruptly stopped when it made it to her destination.

Caroline stepped out, the quietness of the normally noisy floor made her feel odd. No one was behind the reception desk that she could see. The hallways were empty. Not a single noise was to be heard, it made her feel uncomfortable.

"Hello?" She peered over the desk.

"Caroline!" A familiar voice shouted from behind her, it was her good friend Toria.

"Shit, you scared me," Caroline held her hand on her chest. "Where is everyone?"

"They moved the only few patients from this floor up to Floor 6. We're needed there today." Toria said as she made her way over to the elevator Caroline stood in front of.

"Oh, I wasn't informed of this." She said then walked into the elevator as the doors opened.

"I only found out because another doctor told me." Toria told her as they stood quietly in the elevator. The lights were flickering again and for some reason it disturbed Caroline, they've never done that before.

"What's with the lights today?" Toria commented while looking up.

Caroline shrugged, "Maybe they need new bulbs."

They reached Floor 6 and walked out. The floor was the complete opposite of Floor 5. It was full of noise and havoc as rushing doctors made their way to the right hallway and some made their way to the left. Screams were heard from multiple rooms, screams of agony.