06 - A DAY WITH SOYEON

A B B Y

"Hey," Soyeon greeted me right after I got off the elevator.

She's looking all chic today too, wearing all black clothes with her make-up on the heavier side.

"Miss Soyeon," I replied.

"I'm sorry for asking you to meet me on such a short notice."

I shook my head. "It's alright, Miss. Do you need help with anything?"

She nodded before grabbing my arm and quietly pulling me into the recording room. She asked me to sit on a sofa while she sat on a swivel chair in front of it.

There's no one else inside this room except for us.

"Abby, the thing is.." She looked straight into my eyes. "I need you to listen to my new song."

I gasped in surprise. "But why does it have to be me, Miss? I-I'm not a good singer or something! You should ask your members instead--"

"I can't," she answered in a worried voice.

I looked at her in confusion. "But why not? They're members of an idol group, they'll know the best."

"Because they always tell me that I'm good. Sometimes I think they're just saying it because they don't want to hurt my feelings."

Huh? So I guess their leader has this kind of concern too.

"But what if you're really just good?"

She shook her head. "The girls never tell me anything that they want to change in my songs."

"Maybe because there's really just nothing to change?"

"I-I doubt it.. anyway," She turned her back on me and started fixing something on the recording device. "I'll play a demo of a song I recently made. Listen to it and tell me honestly if there's something that you want to change."

Eh?! But what do I even know about composing songs?!

I wanted to just keep telling her not to ask me, because I won't be much of a help but she's insisting and besides, I'm already here so I guess I'll just give it a shot..

She played a song entitled Oh My God and told me that she's preparing for their next comeback in advance, with this as the group's title track.

Her demo really sounded cool though! What am I supposed to tell her to change?!

After playing the full song, she turned around to look at me. "So how was it?"

I started sweating while trying to think of something to say. "Uhm.."

"Is it so bad that you're speechless?"

I immediately shook my head. "N-No Miss! It's the other way around!"

"Huh? I guess you're just like my members.. You can't pinpoint anything because you work for me, don't you?"

I took a deep breath before calmly explaining it to her. "Miss Soyeon, even if somebody else made that song and I were to hear it again, I'd still say the same thing. It's really good."

She finally nodded. "Do you really think there's nothing to change?"

"The song is full of passion. Is there something else that could go wrong with it?"

"I-I don't know Abby.. It's just sometimes it feels like a lie to me. Am I that good?"

"Yes you are, Miss. I'm sure this song will be a hit in the future," I paused and pondered for a few seconds. "Hmmm. How about I promise to tell you what I think sounds a bit off when I really find one?"