Logan finds a soulmate

Logan walked into the library. It being silent, obviously. He missed the simple noises of this library. The shuffling of books being put away, the hire noise machine. Everything. Silent tears ran down Logan's face. He just wanted sound. He sat in the back, grabbing a Sherlock Holmes book from his bag. The tears had long dried, in their place, a small smile.

Logan was startled when a hand touched his shoulder. He smacked the hand away, pushing himself backwards a bit. He didn't like when people came up on him without him knowing. Granted that happened a lot now but that wasn't the point. He glared at the person. It was Patton again. He grabbed his things quickly. Patton said something, Logan was sure of it, he had only seen a few words and therefore wasn't able to know what he said. Logan quickly took out a pen and paper. Scribbling that he still couldn't talk. Handing it to Patton and rushing off. Unfortunately, Patton wouldn't leave him be. Patton took Logan's arm, stopping him. He dragged Logan back to the library.

"What's wrong?" Patton asked. Logan has been paying extra attention when Mr Thomas was showing Logan how to read lips, he still wasn't good, he could only do a few words at a slow pace. Luckily Patton had done both requirements. Logan took his paper, writing out his answer.

'I'm not your friend, stop' Patton read it quickly, lips turning into a frown. Patton quickly looked up at someone, saying something and dragging Logan to a different area. They both sat down, Logan glaring at Patton. The said boy scribbled something out, handing it over to Logan.

'Just wrote notes? You don't have to talk but we can get to know each other!' Logan read it, sighing what he hoped was softly.

'Fine, whatever. What's your name again?' He passed it to the boy. The other smiled.

'Patton! He/Him pronouns, you?'

'Logan, also he/him, why'd you want to talk?' Logan wrote confused.

'You seemed lonely! Everyone needs a friend!' Logan nodded.
Patton jumped, seemingly listening to something. Logan looked down, trying not to ask what was being said. A note was pushed in front of Logan.

'Do you wanna sign up with me!?' Logan read it in confusion.

'For what?'

'For the assembly? Didn't you just hear it?'

'Oh yes, what classes do you take?'

The two sat in obvious silence, passing notes. Logan at one point started to play with his strings. He looked over at Patton, him showing a picture of his dog. Logan smiled at the picture. He then noticed that a red string was tied around Pattons finger. He narrowed his eyes. Was Patton one of soulmates? He was going to find out.

'Why do you have a red string tied around your finger?' Logan asked. Patton looked at his finger, eyes widening at the sight of the string.

'I didn't even notice! Isn't that a soul mark?' Logan nodded.

'It so happens to be mine. It seems as your one of my soulmates' Patton smiled. Saying something excitedly. Logan frowned. Patton looked at him confused.

'Wait, why don't you talk? Are you mute?' Logan sighed, he knew it was going to be asked.

'I'm not mute, my vocal cords are fine, I am however deaf' Patton smiled sympathetically. 'Do you know ASL? It could help us both communicate'

'Hello, my name is Patton' Patton signed. 'That's all I know my he wrote. Logan frowned, before getting up, going to a bookshelf. He pulled a few books out, walking back over to Patton. He placed them on the table.

'I used these books when I first became deaf' Logan wrote. 'I can also see if Mr Thomas can help teach you if you'd like, if we are going to spend the rest of our life's together it would be nice if we could talk without writing.' Patton smiled nodding. He picked up one of the books. Starting on the alphabet. Logan watched amused, he got a few wrong, and when he did, Logan would correct it. When Logan's watch vibrated. He waved bye to Patton, heading back to Mr Thomas.

'Hey Logan! How was your study time?' Thomas asked when he entered the room.

'I actually found one of my soulmates, he's starting to learn ASL for me. Could you maybe teach him?' Thomas smiled widely.

'Of course Logan! What's his name?'

Logan smiled, 'Patton, could we maybe talk about taking speech again?' Thomas nodded.

'Do you want to start putting it into your schedule?' Logan nodded, starting the papers on his desk. Logan worked on the papers contently. Can't waiting to be able to talk with Patton again.