83

Avery stared at the door to the art gallery before taking in a deep breath.

She took a glance at Ian in the passenger seat and he smiled at her.

"We don't have to go in today if you don't want to." He offered and Avery let her head hang back in her seat before taking in another deep breath.

She wanted to go today. Today, Timothy was being released from the hospital. And for some unknown reason, Avery wanted everything to be the way it was before Tim went into the hospital.

That meant cleaning out the definitely rotting, uneaten, Indian food that was waiting for them downstairs. As well as clean the floor from the bloodstains of the shooting.

"It's just a place." She muttered to herself before looking at Ian.

"How are you so relaxed right now?" She asked and Ian shrugged.

"Something bad happened here. But this isn't a bad place." He said and Avery almost scoffed.

Optimistic Ian.

"You got shot!" She reminded and Ian chuckled.

"On the shoulder," he reminded. "Now it makes for a cool scar and an even cooler story."

"You're not funny," Avery shook her head at him and Ian's smile widened.

"What? I'm hilarious!" He scoffed and Avery got out of the car in a huff.

He laughed to himself before following her towards the door of the gallery.

"Okay, but can we put the jokes aside?" Avery asked once Ian reached her. "I don't want you to be alarmed but this could send me into a panic attack."

Ian knows how to care for Avery when she's having a panic attack.

"I understand." Ian nodded. "Hey, you've got my back and I've got yours." He said before reaching for her hand and locking their fingers together.

Taking in one final deep breath, Avery turned the key into the lock and opened the front door.

The faint smell of dried paint hit their nose when they walked in and Ian switched on the lights by the door.

Avery paused for a moment before taking a step forward and walking towards the staircase that led downstairs.

But a clean floor made her stop in her track.

"Did the police clean this place?" She turned to Ian and he shook his head no before walking towards Avery.

"When they told you you could come back a few weeks ago, Eli, Josh and I came here and cleaned up." He said with a soft smile.

"And Finn." He added. "Though, he just brought food." 

"What?" Avery asked in confusion.

"He didn't want to be left out of the mentions so he-"

"Not about Finn!" She shook her head. "You guys came to clean up?" She asked and Ian nodded.

"Yeah,"

"Wha-" Avery turned to face the once again clean gallery.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Avery asked turning to Ian.

"This place is yours. No one should take that joy and pride away from you." Ian said and Avery smiled at him.

"Kiss me," was all Avery could say and Ian happily obliged.