Family Mission

"Zhao Yunlan. We still have more urgent matters to discuss! Shen Wei will be fine." Da Quing sternly said in serious voice which his Gege only use rarely with him. It always sends a shiver down his spine.

***

Zhao Yunlan obediently sat back down and Da Quing also sat in front of his didi with a serious face.

"Zhao Yunlan, are you aware that you will be 18 soon in couple of weeks?" Da Quing starts out lightly.

"Yes, Da Ge. In two weeks to be exact." He response back.

"Good that you are aware of it! So, that leads me to ask you .... how is your Tengu's power?" Da Quing grievously asks, knowing full well how it makes his didi feel.

"........." Zhao Yunlan

"...... Still dormant I assume then?" Da Quing answers his behalf instead.

Zhao Yunlan just gives a small nod in reply.

"....... I'm afraid that we must take action now to activate your dormant power, didi. I just got news from our leader that there is suspicious activity in kidnapping teenage boys around both your and Wei-di age at Tengu Village. We believe that they are searching for Wei-di and it will not take long for them to realize that he is not in Tengu Village." Da Quing grimacely expresses.

"Gege... what am I supposed to do to awaken my power? Is there even any since I don't even have wings? I'm worried about Xiao Wei..." Zhao Yunlan expresses his concern.

Zhao Yunlan knew that there would come a day when their peaceful life would change, and calamity would engulf their lives. But he never thought it would be so soon.

"My dear didi... I'm sorry for being useless gege...." Da Quing apologizes, feeling hopeless and useless older brother.

"Da-ge, you have nothing to apologize to me for! If anything, it should be me for dragging you down along with me! You think I'm not aware of how much trouble I have caused you back in Tengu village because I don't have power?" Zhao Yunlan revealed, shocking Da Quing.

"Ho-ww?" Da Quing asks in surprise.

"hahhahaha, our relatives aren't that 'tactful' when they try to 'educate' me. They made sure to 'inform' how my existence harm our family quite generously." Zhao Yunlan said with sarcasm

"Yunlan...... I'm sorry for not being able to protect you..." Da Quing apologizes again.

"Da-ge, you have nothing to apologize for. Besides, I like my current life here, in Haixing! I will do everything in my power to keep it that way!" Zhao Yunlan confidently said to Da Quing.

Da Quing looks fondly at his didi, seeing him so determined to continue living even with many obstacles ahead of him.

****

"Alright, didi. But I must inform you that it will be a long and dangerous journey for you. And being your very last journey is a possibility..." Da Quing said with worried expression.

"It's alright, Da-Ge! I'm not afraid of difficulties, but who will guard xiao Wei in the meantime? His power should be dormant still since he is only 15 years old now until couple months before he turns to 16." Zhao Yunlan question.

"Yunlan, you must know that Shen Wei is different from everyone else. That applies to his awakening power as well. We can't be certain that his dormant Tengu power will be awakened only when he turns 18 years old like regular Tengu. And seeing how other lesser creatures were able to sense his power when he was only 8, it is alarming as well." Da Quing told what he observed.