Haixing Village

"Lan-di! Come back home right after school ends today. We have something important to discuss." Da Quing said to Zhao Yunlan who is about to go out to meet Shen Wei who is waiting in front of his house's wooden gate.

"Why, Da-ge? I was going to hang out with Xiao Wei after our class ended. There is a street festival around school." Zhao Yunlan asked his older brother.

"Didi, it's important. It's regarding our family mission." Da Quing seriously said to his little brother making Zhao Yunlan become stiff.

"Alright, Gege. I will be back right after the class ends and will tell Xiao Wei something came up." Zhao Yunlan said to his Gege and went out from his house to meet Shen Wei who seemed to be getting bored waiting for his friend.

"What taking Ah Lan so long? We will be scolded again for being late!" Shen Wei whined to himself but still continues to wait.

After a few minutes, Zhao Yunlan finally came out to meet him with a smile but somehow the smile seemed forced on Shen Wei's keen eyes.

******************

"Ah Lan, what is bothering you?" Shen Wei finally asks after a long silent walk.

"Hmmm... nothing...Xiao Wei." Zhao Yunlan replies but still seems to be troubled by something.

"Hm! Fine, if you don't want to talk about it!" Shen Wei said, sulking and started to walk fast leaving Zhao Yunlan behind.

Ah Lan, you are unfair! Everytime something is bothering me, you force me to confess but when you are bothered about something, you always refuse to talk about it with me! Am I that unreliable!? Shen Wei asks and asks with frustration internally not looking at where he is walking into.

"Xiao Wei!" Zhao Yunlan shouts running after Shen Wei after realizing that Shen Wei is long gone from his side while he was busy worrying about his brother's statement.

Zhao Yunlan knew since he was a little child that his family line always served Tengu's headmaster family as personal bodyguard and adviser. Each generation, someone who is qualified in fighting skill set and intelligence will be hand pick by the headmaster as a child for next generation leader and be paired as playmate to build up strong foundation between the leader and his trust adviser and guard. However, Zhao Yunlan still found it odd that the current Tengu leader chose him out of other more qualified candidates even if they are not blood related to his immediate family.

Zhao Yunlan lost both his parents since young, his older brother Da Quing had taken care of him with loves and care but with strictness because Da Quing wanted Zhao Yunlan to be a strong child who is prepared to be next leader's trusted man. Yes.... next generation leader's trusted man.... but why him???? A child who can't even bring out his own wings in all his 17 years of life so far? Okay, Zhao Yunlan accepts that he has the brain and skills for hand-on-hand combats but without his Tengu wings, he is not even half as strong as a regular Tengu and Tengu without wings can be described in one word "Failure...."

Zhao Yunlan can still remember his childhood memories where his relative family members looked at him as weird creature that they never seen before, and kids always bullied him because he can't fly like them. Of course, Zhao Yunlan fought back and cried silently but he never told his Da-ge because he didn't want his Gege to be disappointed to have a younger brother as 'failure'. What Zhao Yunlan didn't know was that Da Quing knew everything that goes around his younger brother, and it upsets him greatly to see his beloved brother crying silently at his hideout. However, due to his position as GhostFace's adviser and a personal guard, he can't act rashly because in Tengu Village, adviser represents its master. Therefore, adviser's mistake falls on the master. Besides, with the sudden change in leadership role after the Envoy disappearance after the summoning, there was a lot of political unrest in Tengu Village. One single mistake can create unbelievable tragic-chain-of-events and they couldn't risk that.

So, when GhostFace ordered his family to come to Haixing Village and guard the next Tengu leader, Zhao Yunlan couldn't be happier. First, he will finally be able to not have to deal with constants bullying and two-faced relatives. Second, on his mission, his Da-ge will be accompanying him as well. Third, he will finally be able to visit the human world that the Envoy loved to talk about all the time until he passed away. And lastly but most importantly, he will be able to keep his promise to the late Envoy about taking care of his son and keeping him safe; even without wings, he is determined to find a way to do it.

******************

It has been 7 years now since he and his older brother guarded Shen Wei silently along Uncle Chu. Chu Shuzhi is now martial art master in Haixing Village and of course, both Zhao Yunlan and Shen Wei are his pupils while Da Quing teaches them ways of life and knowledge to be good adviser when he is not busy working. Sometime, Zhao Yunlan had to lie to Shen Wei when he asked about what his older brother did for a living and why he would leave him alone for several days at a time.

How could he tell his Shen Wei that his brother goes back to Tengu Village to be GhostFace's guard and adviser and being in Haixing is his second job as to help Zhao Yunlan learn how to guard and be good adviser for Shen Wei? To make things worse, Shen Wei doesn't seem to recall anything about once being in Tengu Village or what happened to his Daixing Village when he was 8 years old. The only reason he knows that he lost his mother in Daixing Village burn down is because his uncle Chu Shuzhi told him.

Luckily, when Shen Wei was young and met Yunlan who is close in age as him, they got along well. Being their close neighbor also made their bond stronger and they grew up as brothers. If one gets into trouble, the other will help cover up and when they get discovered by Uncle Chu Shuzhi or Da Quing and get punished, the other will willingly volunteer to join the punishment as well saying that he also helped cover up. Of course, the root of the trouble always stems from Shen Wei, the playful kid but Zhao Yunlan always takes the blame saying that he started the fight because he doesn't want his Shen Wei to be punished but Shen Wei always end up joining the punishment while crying because he hates to see Zhao Yunlan always getting beaten by his older brother, protecting him.

Sometimes, both Chu Shuzhi and Da Quing wonder if pairing them up was a good thing or a mistake because Zhao Yunlan is too soft on Shen Wei causing Shen Wei to become playful teenager now and don't listen to Zhao Yunlan's advises. Or how Shen Wei would join and share the punishment with Zhao Yunlan which is inappropriate behavior for Tengu master. They are aware that their Shen Wei is clueless regarding being Tengu but there is a reason why people say old habits die hard.

However, as a family member, Da Quing couldn't be happier for his didi to finally find someone who share and stick together with him and treat him like normal brother (or more which Da Quing refuse to dig deeper into for many reasons). Also, ever since they came to Haixing and spent time with Shen Wei, Zhao Yunlan never cried or got bullied again. Zhao Yunlan also became more outgoing and cheerful like a kid his age supposed to be which he couldn't be when he was in Tengu Village.

As for Chu Zhushi, having Zhao Yunlan beside his nephew, Shen Wei became more like a child and always happy and spoiled...yes, really spoiled. Shen Wei learned to speak his mind even if others refuse to say when he sees something wrong or unjustified. Yep, because of this righteous and noble characteristic, both Zhao Yunlan and he got into many fights and received countless punishments from his uncle or Da Quing.

"Xiao Wei! Stop before you...oops... too late I guess..." Zhao Yunlan ran after Shen Wei who is stumping his feet and not listening to Zhao Yunlan behind him or looking where he is heading into... 

*******************************

A/N: Yayyy... Another update....😹😻Sorry guys.. I can only update one chapter this week. 😥😣😣😣. I will try for two next time but can't promise since I'm busy.... Anyway, please take a look at my conversation that I post earlier and help me find it if you can..... Well, I hope you enjoy this chapter~~~~~~ Until next time~~~ Muah!!!~~~