Mi Familia

Rose served breakfast the next morning with a lifted brow. "Was that Sonny and Jr. I just saw leaving?"

"Yes." Mercedes sat next to Marc.

"How does that work with your boyfriend, Marcy?"

"It doesn't." Marcy poured juice for the twins and herself.

"I thought Marce broke up with that guy?" Marc questioned.

"Nope. I broke up with Jr. last night."

"How'd he take it?" Mercedes wanted to know.

"Good, I guess. We're friends and parents now." She didn't mention the quick goodbye kiss he'd planted on her before she could evade his lips.

"Really?" Marcus didn't buy that. He knew his Jr. and that wasn't his MO.

"Really. We're going to be mature about this. Many people parent and aren't together."

"Speaking of which, how long is this trial separation supposed to last?" Marc bit into a strip of bacon.

"As long as it needs to until we either get back together or get divorced." Marcus said.

"Which we won't." Rose put in quickly.

"Right." Mercedes didn't let on how freaked out she was about the situation. "So we're going shopping today. Marc, will you watch the kids so Marcy doesn't have an excuse not to go?"

"I should be a good big brother and say no and help her out but I feel a little wicked so sure." Marc grinned.

Marcy narrowed her eyes. "You yellow-bellied sea slug!"

"Are you calling me a coward?!"

"And a slimy bug."

He glared at her. "Just for that, I'm keeping them all day!"

Mercedes clapped. "We'll go to the mall immediately!"

"What about your dog? We have to get Ozzie." Marcy protested.

"You're right!" Mercedes couldn't believe she'd forgotten her beloved dog. "But we can get him after. Your friend won't mind watching him for the morning, will he?"

"How should I know? He probably has to work."

"He'll watch him." Mercedes was sure. "I've got the stores we gotta hit."

"Joy. More than one store."

"You'll love it."

"Have we met?!"

Marc laughed. "Apparently she forgot if she thinks you're going to love shopping!"

"I'm going to make it fun for her!" Mercedes promised.

"Are we not going?" Marcy asked, tongue in cheek.

"You're going and that's final."

"Who mama is you?"

"Puck's." Mercedes batted her eyelashes.

"He does do whatever you say." Marc pointed out.

"I know. He's my second baby."

"I would ask who's your first but it's Jr., isn't it?"

"Yes, he is."

"Didn't he take your diary?"

"Yes, he did."

"Are you still going to kill him?"

"Yes, I am."

Rose chuckled. "Don't beat him too bad. He still has children to look after."

"I'll just beat him black and blue."