Hang On, We're Going Home

Mercedes came downstairs rubbing her eyes. She blinked as she came into the kitchen. "What's going on? Where's Momma?"

"Wedding." Marcus rumbled from behind the paper.

"Is that why you're making breakfast, Marce?"

"I had a craving for eggs so I'm making mini fritatas with cheese, broccoli and ham, steak and stuffed French toast." Marcy flipped a bread over.

"I showed her how to make coffee." Marc lifted his cup.

"Ooh! I need some coffee!" Mercedes went to the coffeemaker and poured herself a cup. She breathed it in before pouring in milk, creamer and sugar. She took a much needed sip and sat down at the table. "Do you need help, Marce?"

"You can stuff this bread for me." Marcy held up the eggy Brioche.

"What are you stuffing it with?"

"A ricotta and blueberry lemon jam mixture. It's pretty tasty."

Mercedes got up (taking her mug with her) and went to stuff the precut bread. "So how was your sleep?"

"Are you always going to ask me that?" Marcy poured the egg mixture for the fritatas into two mini muffin pans (15 indents each).

"Fine. How was seeing Mr. Burt last night?"

"Good. We've done most of the rewiring. I brought the tank and water. We just need to put that bad boy in."

"Speaking of cars, when are the people coming for yours?" Marcus asked.

"Between nine and eleven."

"Then you'll go to that festival?"

"Yes, Daddy." Mercedes stuffed another bread.

Marcy lifted a sandwich from the griddle and put it in a plate then slid the eggs into the oven. "We go on twice today."

"You know this is good practice for me. I'm going to play at fairs and festivals a lot before we get famous." Mercedes said.

"You seem mighty sure you're gon get famous." Marc teased with a straight face.

"Oh, I am!" Mercedes tossed her head.

"You done got her started..." Marcy moaned.

"My bad." Marc grinned.

"Leave my Princess alone." Marcus defended his middle child. "If she wants to be famous, she'll be famous."

"You don't even want her to be a singer."

"I want her to be happy."

"Thank you, Daddy." Mercedes blew him a kiss before giving ugly looks to her siblings.

Marcy stuck her tongue out. "Who cares what you want? You're still not big ego'ed around us."

"You don't think I'll get famous?" Mercedes pouted.

Marcy shrugged. "I don't think about it. Like at all."

"Tell me how you really feel!"

"Okay. I think you have the talent to be super famous and the drive to make friends wherever you go."

Mercedes was shocked. She didn't have hurt feelings! "Thank you, Marcy!"

Marcy rolled her eyes. "It wasn't exactly a compliment."

"No! You said I had talent and drive! I'm not hearing anything else!"

"Sounds like you heard what you wanted to hear." Marc raised his coffee cup.