We're Moving On Up

"How was your night with Sam?" Mercedes asked as she passed the potatoes at breakfast.

Marcy shrugged. "He ate about ten cookies before getting in a fight with Finn about sharing said cookies."

"Sam? You're still seeing him?" Marc fixed a steely eye on his sister.

"It's platonic." Mercedes huffed. "They don't even fit."

"I think we could." Marcy protested before scoffing. "No, we couldn't."

"Marcy's too much for him. He'd be losing hair every day."

Marcy glared at Mercedes. "Excuse you! What's that supposed to mean?!"

"That you're just rough on anybody." Marc grinned.

"Honey, you have a strong personality." Rose soothed.

"It's a Taylor trait." Marcus rumbled. "But I don't think you're overbearing, Sweetpea. Whoever can't handle you is weak."

"Dad, you've said countless times that you couldn't handle her." Marc reminded his father.

Marcus blinked. "I'm just an old fool. Who knows what I mean?"

"You're not old, Daddy." Marcy raised her brows.

Mercedes tried to be in shock but a case of giggles erupted from her instead. "I'm sorry I started this. You're like whiskey, Marce. Not everyone can take such a bold taste but those who can, get a very satisfying drink. Better?"

Marcy looked to the twins. "What do you think? Am I bold?"

"Yes!" Both yelled, waving their forks above their heads.

She huffed. "Fine. I'll take whiskey."

Mercedes pinched her cheek. "And you're über adorable."

Marcy looked horrified. "Well you're cute!"

Mercedes frowned.

"You're both cute and adorable." Marcus ate a sausage off his fork.

Both facepalmed. "Thank you, Daddy."

Mercedes turned to Marcy. "What are you doing today?"

"I figured I could help you with your car. I've put it off long enough." Marcy drank apple juice.

"Yay!" Mercedes clapped.

"I thought you were done with your car, Princess?" Marcus was confused.

"I just need Marcy's fuel source and I can drive it home." Mercedes was really excited. "I thought we were going to go shopping today though?"

"We can put it off til Friday. Rou will be here and we can shop together." Marcy said.

"Oh, you're not leaving me out! I'm totally going with you! I need something for Mal's graduation, too."

"So do I. I'm woefully unprepared for stuff."

"Maybe I can go shopping with you?" Rose suggested tentatively.

"It's going to be during the middle of your workday." Marcy brushed her off.

"I can rearrange some things-"

"Don't trouble yourself. It'll take a while."

Rose swallowed in the quiet. "Another time maybe?"

"Maybe." Marcy stared hard at her plate.

Mercedes moved her lips silently, uncomfortable. Rose was still trying and Marcy was still unyielding. Just when she was about to say something to relieve the oppressive air, Marcus cleared his throat. "Who's having lunch with me today?"