Backpacking Across Europe but Not Really

Mercedes adjusted her blouse once again as she waited on the steps. Mike had called to say he was on his way with Marcy and the twins and she wanted to be the first person they saw.

Breakfast had been an... event. Rose cooked breakfast like she always did but Marcus was no longer thankful and the children had nothing to say to her. Before she left for work, Rose reminded her spawn that she loved them.

Marcus had said there would be a family meeting when he got off work.

Marc came into the foyer. "Still waiting?"

"It's been ten minutes! Are they walking?!"

"Chill out. They'll be here." He leaned against the wall.

"We just had breakfast. Why are you eating?" She eyed the pear in his hand.

"I like fruit."

She groaned with an eye-roll before eyeballing the door to death. "Open!"

"That's not going to work."

The front door opened. She smirked at him. Marcy let the twins in before her. She stopped when she saw her siblings. "Oh. Hey?"

"That's all we get? Where have you been?" Mercedes looked over the children, who were looking back at her.

"I was getting my stuff from Alan's, Laura!" Marcy said with attitude.

"I'm not Laura! I've been waiting for ten minutes!"

"He lives ten minutes away."

"I called you when we left." Mike said as he brought two bags inside.

"Well you're here now." Mercedes stood up. Mally raised his arms. She smiled and awed at him. She picked him up. "Hi, baby! Aren't you so cute?!"

Mally beamed.

"Can he talk?" Mercedes asked as she bounced with him.

"Italian." Marcy walked closer. "I need to get changed. I'm grimy."

"Don't let us stop you." Marc joked.

"Don't get beat up." She picked up Mickey. "Give him up or follow me. They need to get clean, too."

Mercedes wasn't giving Mally up for anything. "I'll hold him. In fact, I'll give them both a bath while you shower."

"Uh..."

"I got this." Mercedes promised.

"Alright." Marcy took a deep breath. "Can you bring our stuff upstairs, Mikey?"

"Sure." Mike hoisted the bags up higher on his shoulder.

The trio went upstairs to the first door on the right, painted green. It was Marcy's room.

Marcy put Mickey down on the floor and turned to Mike to get their bags. She set them on the floor and knelt in front of them to rifle through them. She began pulling clothes from one bag. "Here."

Mercedes took the stack of clothes. "What are these?"

"Clothes for Mally." She began pulling out other clothes but laid them out on the bed.